After many years of reading I am ready to begin!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
This is my first post on this site, so before I cut to the chase, I just want to say how excellent I think this forum is, for the past few years I have become fascinated by Bushcraft, I have watched pretty much every documentary I can find, my main inspiration obviously being the wonderful Ray Mears, as well as reading many books upon the subject.

As a child I spent pretty much all my free time building shelters and lighting fires in the woods at the bottom of my garden, so in someways my interest in Bushcraft is somewhat of a rekindling of my interests.

This year I have made the decision to put into practise many of the techniques I have learned over the years...

So I joined a gym to boost my endurance so I can go on a fair few expeditions beginning in spring (I am an animator, so much of my time is spent sat at a desk staring at a screen, hence the need to get fitter!)

On January 2nd I decided I had to get the New Year off to a good start by creating fire by friction - and I did not succeed this time! But it has become somewhat of an obsession! The wood I used was too soft!

I have a few basic questions I would like to ask experienced members of the forum, some off beat and some practical.

1 - Could anyone recommend an conscise book about the trees native to the UK and their properties? I know a few basic facts, but would like to be able to identify all trees in the UK and understand the ways in which they are useful to the bushcraft practitioner.

2 - Are there any similar books about herbs and plants in all seasons?

3 - I am curious to know how creating fire by friction feels psychologically! ( I told you some questions would be off beat) I am fascinated by the notion of knowing that wherever you are you have the ability to get warm, cook, create light. I would love to hear peoples experiences of the first time they succeeded in doing this.

4 - Where in Wales could be recommended as a good place to start practising techniques - I would like to practise in an area close to the coast with areas of forest and woodland. I ask this because I am unsure of the rules regarding lighting fires on land etc.

5 - What would be the best types of wood to create fire by friction using a bowstring. Is there a preferable wood for making the bow string? Would using a combination of hard and soft woods for the drill be prudent? To make my own cordage, what would be the best material to create the string for the bow?

6 - I would love to know about peoples first experiences of applying bushcraft techniques - what went right and wrong?

Apologies if all of these subjects are commonly asked, this is my first post - I have read through many threads already, but would really like to chat to some of you guys here so I can learn from your personal experiences.

Thank you and Happy New Year.

Reactions: Ystranc

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Hi Magic Lantern. Welcome to the site it is fantastic :D .

Thats a lot of questions :)

To begin with for the second question i would recommend Ray Mears outdoor survival handbook. If you haven't got it already it focuses on the four seasons and the ways in which to use the same skill differently in each season. For example lighting a fire in summer and in winter, It also gives you detailed pics of herbs and wild plants that are available in each season and what they can be used for and how they can be eaten. The begginers guide i would say. :D

Just to add mate i regularly go camping to wales and i am sorry to say that a lot of places where it is legal to have campfires have been stamped out. But the coast should have more places. When i am there i tend to stick around monmouthshire and the wye valley aswell as the forest of dean. Even though it has been ruined of late. :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hi Magic Lantern

Lots of questions in this post, each deserving a thread of thier own really. You'll get a lot better answers that way too.

Let's see. Collins do some good ID books but I'm not sure if any of them tell you much about the wood properties.

There are tons of books about herbs, I use "Edible and medicinal plants of Britain and Northern Europe" but it's out of print now and like hens teeth to find.

Personally I think fire by friction is all about keeping 20 boy scouts busy all night, If I want a fire I use flint and steel . ;)

The eternal question, where to go...... The access laws in this country are so lousy I go to Scotland or Norway but that's probably not much help I'm afraid.

Question 5 see above and Q6 really is worth it's own thread.

Welcome to the site.

D

Deleted member 4605

Magic Lantern said:
1 - Could anyone recommend an conscise book about the trees native to the UK and their properties? I know a few basic facts, but would like to be able to identify all trees in the UK and understand the ways in which they are useful to the bushcraft practitioner.

For native only trees I recommend Native British Trees, whilst for a different slant on trees look at Tree Wisdom which includes the legends and myths surrounding each tree as well as how to recognise them.

Magic Lantern said:
3 - I am curious to know how creating fire by friction feels psychologically!

I can't comment on fire by friction having not tried it yet, but the few times I've gotten close to a flame using my firesteel have felt wonderful (only to come crashing down when it dies). Wow - I just realised bushcraft is a narcotic!

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Keeble-Martin seconded. I think it's out of print, I got mine from a boot sale. The pictures are really good. I've also got a book published by Octopus that organises wild flowers by colour and number of petals - excellent if the plant you are trying to id is in flower.

Not one to take into the field but if you can pick up a copy of AA Book of the Countryside there are id charts for cows, fowl, fish, invertebrates, you name it. Again I see these cropping up a boot sales a fair bit.

I'm still searching for the right tree book. The tree recognition book I revewed here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?p=225619#post225619

is good but doesn't do wood charateristics

Fire by friction - feels good. Not as good as being prepared with a bic lighter and some birch bark (or hexy tabs) though ;)

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
I am curious to know how creating fire by friction feels psychologically! ( I told you some questions would be off beat) I am fascinated by the notion of knowing that wherever you are you have the ability to get warm, cook, create light. I would love to hear peoples experiences of the first time they succeeded in doing this.

Fantastic is the answer :) You nurture that first coal like a first born :eek: Seriously, its like you have just passed a particularly tough test, you are on the Hillary Step, all that remains is the summit (Hand Drill) :eek:

Once you have done it a few times you become more comfortable and relaxed in the preperattion and start to tweak things to suit. I for example dont do a burn in, I dont transfer the coal either as I make it 'in situ' on the tinder I intend to use. You will find things that work or dont as you play.

What would be the best types of wood to create fire by friction using a bowstring. Is there a preferable wood for making the bow string? Would using a combination of hard and soft woods for the drill be prudent? To make my own cordage, what would be the best material to create the string for the bow?

I found Cedar to be the best for the hearthboard and Willow for the drill. To find a wood as a suitable drill press it with your thumbnail, if it makes a mark its OK. For the hearthboard you can use the same wood, or if you get the chance, find another type that is a wee bit softer.
Self made bowstring cordage is tough to do, there are not that many resilient enough to put up with the stress of a bow drill, althogh many will work with an Egyptian Bow Drill (or so I have heard, I havent tried it myself)

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hello Magic Lantern,

Magic Lantern said:
...So I joined a gym to boost my endurance so I can go on a fair few expeditions beginning in spring (I am an animator, so much of my time is spent sat at a desk staring at a screen, hence the need to get fitter!)...

Yep, this is a major problem for me too, glad to hear you’ve actually done something about it though :D

Magic Lantern said:
...1 - Could anyone recommend an conscise book about the trees native to the UK and their properties? I know a few basic facts, but would like to be able to identify all trees in the UK and understand the ways in which they are useful to the bushcraft practitioner.

2 - Are there any similar books about herbs and plants in all seasons?...

I have the Collins Gem book about trees. This identifies the most common UK species, although nothing to do with the properties of wood and timber in respect to bushcraft needs. I can’t really imagine that you don’t already know about these, but if you don’t, they are easily slipped into a pocket. I have the following (there are probably more in the series):

Collins Gem – Trees
Collins Gem – Fish
Collins Gem – Mushrooms (be careful with fungi!)
Collins Gem – Food for Free
Collins Gem – Birds

With wild food in mind keep an eye out for the book that I imagine that will accompany the new Ray Mears series which starts tonight.

Magic Lantern said:
...3 - I am curious to know how creating fire by friction feels psychologically! ( I told you some questions would be off beat) I am fascinated by the notion of knowing that wherever you are you have the ability to get warm, cook, create light. I would love to hear peoples experiences of the first time they succeeded in doing this...

...5 - What would be the best types of wood to create fire by friction using a bowstring. Is there a preferable wood for making the bow string? Would using a combination of hard and soft woods for the drill be prudent? To make my own cordage, what would be the best material to create the string for the bow?...

This is a good thread about making fire for the first time, ‘John Fenna’ gives some useful information about the woods he used for the firebow/drill/hearth, as does ‘oceanroc’ who also made fire for the first time last night:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?p=238426#post238426

Magic Lantern said:
...4 - Where in Wales could be recommended as a good place to start practising techniques - I would like to practise in an area close to the coast with areas of forest and woodland. I ask this because I am unsure of the rules regarding lighting fires on land etc...

‘Bushcraft Camping at Yellow Wood

Have you found it difficult to find a campsite that allows campfires? Our stunning location allows small groups of bushcrafters (ie those that actually prefer location over plush facilities) to come and share skills in the Welsh Borders.

Costs start from £3.00 for kids, £5.00 for adults, then a further charge for firewood used. Please email or phone for further details’

The owner of the Yellowwood site is a member of the forums ‘paulcd’. I’m sure he would be able to help if you PM him.

http://www.yellowwood.co.uk/