Advice on stock refinishing advice!

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Iam not entirely sure where to ask this question but here goes, my two hobbies are Bushcrafting and Air rifle shooting, anyway I may have acquired a nice stock for my HW 97, it's unfinished. I've applied an oil finish to a couple of walnut stocks in the past but this stock is made from a wood called Sono kembang, it's a weighty dark wood with a reddish tinge to it. The problem is is there are a couple of light patches within the wood on the cheek piece which detracts from and doesn't match up with the rest of the stock. My question is how to go about making it blend in with the rest of the stock wood. I thought perhaps maybe a water based stain??? Anyway any help or advice would be appreciated!
CLEM

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've finished a couple of shotgun stocks with Napier gunstock finish its about £20 but well worth it. You might even find that it will even out any differences in the colour of the wood.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Cheers chaps, as I say any help, suggestions and advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Biker

That's a gorgeous looking stock there mate. As for the light spot, it looks like a natural colour change in the wood, such as you get between sapwood and heartwood. If it bugs yu then stain it, but I'd be wondering if the risk of adding stains would actually make it look worse?

Anyway it's your call.

Hope you didn't mind me linking the photos directly here. Again, that is a lovely shaped stock. Thanks for showing this.

C6CLAB8h.jpg

ruYXCJYh.jpg

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I agree Biker mate, it's a lovely looking stock, no doubts. Just a shame about those light patches. The stock is in the raw, no finish! I know there's far more skilled folks on ere than me and thought I'd seek their thoughts and opinions. Seems their a bit shy just latterly other than your goodself and one or two others! I agree the staining idea could indeed make it worse and so Iam unsure as to what to do! Tis a great and comfortable stock design though!

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
I "built" a Leeman Great Plains Rilfe in .54 calibre last winter and tried a number of finishes but in the end I used high quality furniture oil rubbed in with superfine steel wool. I bought stain but didn't use it... I got so caught up in the minute details of the finish I didn't look at the big picture which was the natural beauty of the timber. I also dropped the stock and broke it so I had the frustration and joy of doing it twice. There was some foul language on that day...
i think you are doing a fine job there. You can be proud of that... It's YOUR work!

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I would use oil stain as it wont raise the grain, and it can still be finished with danish oil. Have you contactex gnib to se what they use in the facfory.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Personally I would leave it as I feel that its a natural part of the grain and I like it.
Also, a lot are saying stain it... Mmm... I feel that its quite easy to mess that one up and over stain the darker surrounding parts in the effort to get that light bit the same.

To be honest I feel that wood stain is over used anyway, get a nice bit of wood then try to make it look like a different type of wood? Too many people want their wood to look like plastic IMO.
Oh, yeah. I'm a carpenter which although doesn't mean I do much varnishing/oiling/staining does mean I get the joy of watching nice timber I've fitted get stained a manky colour by some other Berk, not that I'm bitter.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I am still unsure as to what to do to be perfectly honest, it'd very easy to spoil not doubts!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE