Advice on bell tents please, before I spank all my cash.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Morning All, hoping you can give me some advice re bell tents.

I'm about to order the SoulPad 5000-lite, and the frontier stove and flashing kit to go with it.

SoulPad 5000-lite

Frontier Stove

We won't be lugging it around on foot, so weight is not a problem. I want something big enough for me, the wife and the sproglet, and all of our gear (and room for the stove too)

Whaddya reckon? Will this suffice, or is there a better option?

Cheers,

Ben

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have the 4m version of the bell tent. Big enough for 2 or three, just got the frontier stove last month. Haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I think it's ace set up.

I chose the 4m as it was a bit cheaper. Wife and I lived in it for a week last summer in the lakes. Lovely first day then pelted it down for the rest of the week. Dry as a bone inside and comfy with the inflating bed and some chairs. Even gotta wee table inside. Didn't have the stove at that point some maybe a little cramped now, but it works really well.

Orric

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
There was a recent thread on here somewhere with a lot of good advice and cool pictures.
I've looked into them myself and listened to people more knowledgeable than me. If its any reassurance, when I bite the bullet and get one, maybe this year maybe next, I'll be getting exactly the same set up you are going for.

Sent from my iToaster using Tapatalk

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
That tent is a very fair price to pay for something of that quality build.
As prawnster said there was a threat about bell tents this week that was very interesting.
You can bring that along to the Sussex meet up any time.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Hi

I have a 4m bell tent from canvas and cast aka bell tent biz, I have no connection with them. They are a bit more expensive than soulpad and camping with soul, I have been very happy with it and used it in all weathers, I used it last over christmas and had a consistent 14 degree difference from inside/outside of the tent. I use a pipsqueek stove and an eco fan. The stoves downside is it is very heavy 20kg appx, and needs consistent feeding with small logs, I also use coal with it and the compressed sawdust discs which does last longer.

I think the soulpad tents are good value they seem to sell plenty and I think the frontier stove would work very with it they are lighter, stay in longer and you can use bigger logs with them. Hope you enjoy your bell tent.

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Thanks for the replies! Very excited, cant wait to get out now. We'll be spending the next two weekends in it (providing it arrives in time).I have a question about placement of the stove though. Obviously cant put it in the entrance, but wheres the best place for it? In the middle, on the edge?

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Pictures man, we need pictures! ;)

I'll fire up the stove when I get home and get some pics.

The tent will have to wait til we get out camping - it's a bit too big to open indoors. I measured the other day, it's exactly the same width as my front room!

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Couldn't resist the 5 meter one :)
Can't wait to get out camping now - better than the 8 man monstrosity I bought from CostCo a couple of years ago.
D

I know what you mean about the big plastic tents. We've had a vango one for a few years. Those things were not designed for one person to erect alone, it takes me all day while mum chases the kids around the campsite. This is one of the things that appeal to me with these bell tents, the simplicity.

Sent from my iToaster using Tapatalk

markphelan

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham UK
You'll be amazed how quickly you can set it up, and it's the only tent I've had that fits back in the bag!! :)

We have the 4m and use it regularly all year round with our stove. The two of us have plenty of room with sleeping bags, stove, and a couple of folding chairs and all our clothes, food and walking gear. I've even got LED spotlights and solar panels, it's a real home away from home and is quite comfortable whatever the weather.

Regarding placement of the stove, we put ours at about "10 o'clock" (looking down on the tent with the entrance at the bottom!). Next to the door was in the way too much and especially with 2 or more of us in the tent I could see people brushing past it and burning themselves. Our flue wasn't long enough to exit in the middle of the tent so we opted for the back edge and it heats the whole space up fine.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE