Advice needed

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Hey all,
was busy in the shed this morning working an a piece of apple burl making a cross between a spoon and ladle, I was going great guns until sanding the outside when i have worn through a bit.

It would seem a shame to bin it after such a lot of hard carving and its such a nice bit of wood. I may have been a bit ambitious for a first attempt and deserve to bin it. But if there are any tips to save it from the bin I would appreciate them.

The bowl is about 3" long by 2 " wide and its probably 1 1/2" deep.
ladle002.jpg

I Like the patterns in the wood otherwise I wouldn't bother saving it
ladle003.jpg

The hole is just visible to the left hand side near the bottom,

ladle004.jpg

Thanks in anticipation.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Wood filler from the local hardware shop.

i thought about that, but im not sure it would be healthy.

putting more holes and making a strainer or slotted spoon out of it would an idea.

nice work, i should really show my toothpicks and chopsticks that i always make LOL

burning

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2006
nw uk
mix up some fine sawdust of the wood you used with pva glue and fill the hole leaving the glue 'proud'. Let it dry properly then sand off smooth ..... what hole ? ;)

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
I did the strainer thing with one of mine too. It's actually become one of the most used bits of kitchen 'spoonage'... worth a go rather than wasting it?

burning

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2006
nw uk
That always comes out darker.

Leave it hanging on the wall of the shed as a reminder?

I have never had a problem with it being darker if it's a small hole, bigger holes yes but not small ones. I worked in a bespoke joiners shop for 7 yrs and for small flaws it was common practice.

Another fix would be simple assuming you have a few tools.
2 X drills HSS etc, 1 @ 3mm and 1 @ 3.5mm just for example
small piece of 5mm steel bar for a dowel maker

Drill the steel out with the 3.5mm bit. Using a good length of the same wood as your spoon (4") hammer it through the hole in the steel to make a dowel.

Very carefully drill your spoon with the 3mm drillbit. Taper the end of the 3.5mm dowel and gently tap into the hole you made making sure the grain of the bowl and dowel are aligned. Trim off and sand to finish.

There is more to learning than hanging failures up imho. Plus what do all you geordies do with slotted spoons? I guess it's a tribal thing :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE