Across the sea to Ireland (redux)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Hi folks,

Been thinking about this a bit, I'd still like to get something together some weekend on this side of the Irish Sea.

However, and please don't take this as being in any way personal, I'm not too taken with the idea of bivvying halfway up a Mourne with folks I've never clapped eyes on before.

If, of a Saturday evening, one of you decides to wrap a bandanna round your head and sit cross legged with your machete between your knees, beating yourself with nettles, I'd prefer to be able to just get in the car an...ummm... skedaddle.

(The above actually happened to me about 19 years ago in Co. Clare. Bloody long walk to the main road followed by a "dream hitch" direct to Belfast)

I would like to suggest something along the lines of the BCUK meetup, but on a smaller scale, obviously.

Perhaps using a public campsite, close to woodland, where we could practice or hold demonstrations. but close enough to civilization that if anyone is not happy about what's going on they can opt out without danger or hardship.

I'd also like to attract representatives from the local schools, if they're interested. It's a reasonable opportunity for a "live" advertisment....

I'm easy as to location, North or South of the border, West coast...wherever, just wherever offers "bushcraft territory" near at hand and is convenient for the majority.

I hope this doesn't come across as paranoia, I'm sure you're all stand up guys, and once we establish some common ground, we can make whatever arrangements we reckon are suitable for future meets.

Any thoughts?

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
i shall be in NI, Antrim and Lurgan at some point from the 11-14 Oct visiting the wifes family. i might be able to spare an evening for a pint. Not sure about it yet just an idea. If any of you NI bods fancy it?

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I would be very interested in meetup here but because of my last attempt at triing to organise a meet up I was a bit reluctant mention it again :icon_redf . So good on you GP. :super:

I known of few others down that would be very interested as well but a date, location and fee set up like the BCUK meeting would make things much easier to get people to commit. If you need hand PM me.

James

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
So.... Location then?
And who else can we invite?

I'm rather sorry to say that my usual preferred location, Tollymore, has, well, gone down hill a bit.
Full of drunken wife beaters and parties of clubbers having impromptu chill out parties after the clubs kick out. Ranger seems disinterested. Not good.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Well I could say Castlewellan but I have only been there once and Anthonio uses it.

I did a little search and found this I haven't contacted them yet nor have been there but I will give a try over the weekend.

As for inviting folk I don't personal mind once they have something to share or are interested in learning and not just parting.

When would be thinking off holding it.

James

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
At the moment, lets just say "soon" :p

I was also thinking that If we use a campsite the potential exists for families to attend, subject to the usual provisos regarding responsibility for the youngsters.

I'd like to see at least half a dozen, but whatever/whoever/wherever we'll work something.

I'm away from tomorrow afternoon until.....I get bored, probably Monday.

That looks like a nice spot and I've got a mate in that area, who has a wee bit of land himself, which might be interesting, if he's in the country - Lives overseas half the year.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
No problem families or better halves It make it a little less formal.

AAAA!!! :yikes: I am out of the country for couple of weeks in September which might be a problem for you if you want to do a weekend soon.

I will still get in touch with the site and get back to you all on Monday with what ever info I can.

James :cry:

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have a few weekend commitments in September but after that count me in.
I did stay at a camp site in Hillsborough last year ,proper site with shower and toilet block etc but the site was pretty quiet and we had it much to ourselves most of the time.
The owner was pretty laid back and was more than happy for us to light a fire and for me to shoot a few rabbits with the air rifle.
There is a lake and some fields but not much in the way of a forest.
Someone also mentioned a Scout site on the Ards Peninsula a while back?
If wives and kids are going i might bring SWMBO.
RB

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I do hope you manage to pull this off and make it semi regular as there are a couple of welsh members over here that would love to come over and share some skills :biggthump It would have to be sometime next year though as I'm booked up till christmas :yikes: Please keep us informed and let us know how it all goes :)

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE