Accidents in the home

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Being a bank holiday many folk do a spot of DIY at home and this apparently increases the chances of accidents in the home. I haven't done any DIY this morning but have received a back injury as a result of the bathroom cabinet glass door falling on me and smashing. I was on the throne at the time. So what accidents have you had at home? R u accident prone?

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
nowt so far injury wise, but i'm replacing the hatch to the loft, i've just finished painting it when i open the garage door and the winds got up and covered it in shavings from the lathe :(

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just another day for me...
but the other week I badly sliced my left index finger with a pair of scissors... while cutting a bit of leather thonging for some shoes I am making.
I just forgot how long the scissors were and with all the force needed to cut through the leather near the pivot of the blades I put the tips through the side of my fingertip.
Wound is a rough quater-circle 1/2" wide and 1/4" from rim to baseline and about the same deep.
I swore a lot!
All healed up now but I think I must have trimmed some nerves as there are moments of random tenderness or stabbing pain....

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
cleared out the shed this morning, got my finger squished in a wooden folding chair ( think....the pianist in the Commitments ! LOL ! )

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Fell out of the tree in the garden last night, though being heavily drunk meant that I walked away unscathed physical but my neighbours bear the mental scars as I was in a state of undress, dam you school boy double dares!

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
not so much DIY but i once used a dremel with a drill bit attachment to open a coconut stupidily the coconut was in my hand anyways it slipped and the drill went right across the palm of my hand leaving a nice drillbit serated cut across my hand. Kind of a reggy out of kenny everit moment lol i still shake at the site of a coconut :D

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Fell off a ladder while building my garage 3 years ago. Broke both wrists. 6 hours in theatre, 5 days in hospital, 3 weeks of Mrs L having to 'attend' to me. Carpal tunnel in each wrist every night. For Ever.

Not to be recommended.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE