Abrupt awakening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Returning from middlewood, id booked a couple of extra days annual leave for travel recovery and bimbiling about, as it was it turned out my mate verloc also had some time off so on Monday lunchtime we set off to spend a couple of days in the woods.

We had a few places we wanted to check out, the first a remote lochan was ok, but a little more barren and cold than we expected, was mid afternoon and the water was still frozen, and snow on the ground, bit cold we thought...

3006233624_90ac0bf1e1.jpg

We had one other place up our sleeve but, the OS maps showed a proper road, but in reality was a dirt track that I was not prepared to take my less than a week old car down without having checked it out on foot first :p

So thus it was to go back to a spot we had visited in the past that was reasonably close to the road with a layby to park and not to far a walk in, a good amount of dead standing birch that burns really well on the cold nights.

We got there just before the light faded and setup rapidly as the dark descended. A good evening was had around a spark free and warm fire.

The problem began when I awoke to hear voices, possibly verloc on the phone, then I heard my name... Twas the police... None to happy about being out in the woods at 8am in the morning either.

Apparently somebody had complained about the "abandoned" car that was near the woods. pfft! That and the fact that Arnold Clark in their wish to cover my new car as much as possible in their logo, had put new number plates on with their logo at the top, but had ballsed it up, and got it a digit out on the back, so effectively the car ive been driving the past week was illegal.

On the front I had a tax disk that was correct but a works carpark pass that had my old car reg on it, and when they checked who it was registered to it still showed up as being in trade. I guess from a police point of view it all smelled a bit fishy.

They turned up in a kind of Good cop Bad cop fashion with one pulling up a deck chair to quiz me about the car and was pretty good humored, second was the bad cop reminding me it was an offense to have the wrong plates on the back for "dodging speed cameras".

Once that was sorted and let off without any points we where told the "land owner" had asked that we be moved on !!

Verloc who was more awake than me argued the fact about the land reform act 2005 allowing wild camping in Scotland etc, but Bad cop was adamant that the act only applied to Government owned land and not private estate land which we where camped on.

Given id got off with the number plate offense which wasn't my fault, and we did have a small fire which we did not have permission for I did not want to argue, but did leave a bitter taste on what was a good night out otherwise.

Some photos before we tore down and hot footed it home.

3005367737_0108393326.jpg

3005362963_7841ff0496.jpg

Stoo.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bad cop was well out of line. Complain to his sergeant. If no one complains nothing changes.
Responsible right of access. You were courteous, not destructive and not within any excluded curtiledge. No SSSI ? no scheduled ancient monument ?
Contact SNH and get the relevant leaflets from them and send them to bad cop.
Advise he reads them since you went to the trouble to be assured that you weren't breaking any laws, in fact since this is our country you were well within the law to do just as you did.

Sorry for the rant, this makes my blood boil, :cussing: I know you both and neither of you deserved this reaction from the police.

atb,
M

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
to be fair, the amount of burecratic rubbish the police have to be aware of is mind numbing. Instead of going down the complaining to his superior route and basically causing a fair amount of grief, it would be nicer to mail the relevant police station with a copy of the laws that apply.

Im sure the officer and the public would prefer to be out doign their job rather than their ase being handed to them because they missed out on a piece of law which in all honesty caused bugger all major hassle

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The right of responsible access is law. If the policeman doesn't know it well enough to advise it properly then he needs a refresher course......and I can't think of a better one than that administered by a big polis sargeant :naughty:

cheers,
Toddy

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Thanks Mary,

I think if there hand not been problems with the car we would have been more inclined to argue the law.

Korvin, im not going to complain, not one for rocking the boat. I will down the line return to that spot and if those officers return I will have a print out of the land reform handy in my rucksack to correct.

Stoo

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Any chance you can resize your piccies Stoo, I miss half the text on the right when I`m on my laptop. Looks like you had some fun but I`ll wait until tomrrow when I can read it properly on my big screen at work.

Don`t you just love that photo of you on the Middlewood thread, I think it`s awesome. You look like you`ve just done something you shouldn`t have.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Any chance you can resize your piccies Stoo, I miss half the text on the right when I`m on my laptop. Looks like you had some fun but I`ll wait until tomrrow when I can read it properly on my big screen at work.

Don`t you just love that photo of you on the Middlewood thread, I think it`s awesome. You look like you`ve just done something you shouldn`t have.

Re-sized,

Aye i do look a bit mischievous in the mad dave pic, wonder what my face was like on tuesday morn when i was awoken. Probably had a guilty look on it then to!

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Bad cop was well out of line. Complain to his sergeant. If no one complains nothing changes.
Responsible right of access. You were courteous, not destructive and not within any excluded curtiledge. No SSSI ? no scheduled ancient monument ?
Contact SNH and get the relevant leaflets from them and send them to bad cop.
Advise he reads them since you went to the trouble to be assured that you weren't breaking any laws, in fact since this is our country you were well within the law to do just as you did.

Sorry for the rant, this makes my blood boil, :cussing: I know you both and neither of you deserved this reaction from the police.

atb,
M

So does the land reform act allow you to camp on private land in Scotland?

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Well if this is the reaction Scottish police have to wild camping, then God help us jolly 'ole Englanders! We don't have a cat in hell's chance, do we?

I'm moving to Sweden! Tomorrow... if not sooner.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well if this is the reaction Scottish police have to wild camping, then God help us jolly 'ole Englanders! We don't have a cat in hell's chance, do we?

I'm moving to Sweden! Tomorrow... if not sooner.

This shouldn't happen and generally doesn't. That's why I seem so intent on making waves over it.

G.M.Merrill............Scotland has only 8,000 police for over 3million people in the central belt, we are among the least policed nations on Earth. We don't really need more, media hype makes us out to be something unruly when in fact we're very civilized. To find them wasting time over a non issue like this one irritates us no end.

The right of responsible access only finally came onto the statute books in 2005, and even though to be somewhere just for a walk was always a reason and not an excuse here, the new right is part of the whole tranche that came in with the new parliament and is fiercely defended.

cheers,
Toddy

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Thanks Mary,

I think if there hand not been problems with the car we would have been more inclined to argue the law.

Korvin, im not going to complain, not one for rocking the boat. I will down the line return to that spot and if those officers return I will have a print out of the land reform handy in my rucksack to correct.

Stoo

Agreed on that, some times even if your right it best not to argue. Having a copy of the land reform act handy Is a good idea.

Think I might print of a copy laminate it a put it on a post next to my next camping spot along with a visitors book and relevant H&S statement :D

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I don't blame you for capitualting. Even though it wasn't your fault, the number plate was still illegal and being charged for that just isn't worth the hassle.

Also fires are still illegal in a 'plantation' and maybe a grumpy polis officer might have tried to pursue that.

It is odd that the 'bad cop' had such confused and wrong information on wild camping though.

Mind you, if it were not for the car and fire I would definitely have stood my ground.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Oh belive me there's plenty o' polis that don't know their proverbial from their elbow,esp' when it comes to laws and statutes that aren't dealt with regularly.

They'll often try to wing it when dealing with folk in such situations and do not like losing face or being told the law.

So having the legislation in b+w and being calm and courteous will probably bring them onside.

They're really not interested in the likes of us but have to be seen to be responding.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm not entirely convinced that standing your ground is the right approach... The police can really make your life a misery if they chose too, even if you aren't breaking any laws in any way at all.

Take it up with the relevant Access Officer. They can pursue it without risk of repercussions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE