Abrupt awakening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Oh belive me there's plenty o' polis that don't know their proverbial from their elbow,esp' when it comes to laws and statutes that aren't dealt with regularly.

Yup, I work with about a dozen ex-policemen and most didn't have a clue about the current access laws until I explained it all to them.
Some were transport cops through-and-through and I wasn't really surprised, others had spent their whole career in town and the rest said that apart from peacecamps at gareloch, hassling tinkers and the likes they'd never had to deal with situations like that.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
having dodgy internet access at the moment but have i am just in the middle of penning my complaint to Tayside Police. To be honest I did argue quite a but with the grumpy plod but could see stoo grimacing and decided it was an argument that would wait. I must admit that i do not have a lot of sympathy for the police - they have a job to do and part of being able to do that job is knowing the law. Plenty of people have jobs that if they screwed up then it would lead to serious consequences. It also is not helped by a previous run in I had involving being told I couldn't take pictures in the middle of town (people with "small" cameras were left alone but becase i was shootign with a dSLR then i got "talked" too) as it was government land a council building - argued the toss with them about being on public land etc etc and they eventually capitulated and left me alone but in this case I also was a bit annoyed at being grilled (still both of us in our bivi bags). "name, age, date of birth, address, occupation, why are you not at work etc etc etc " - all served to really get my back up. I can understand needing a few details of Stoo but not sure why I was asked all these questions.

Also I would like to point out that these officers are the ones covering rural Angus and surely something like access to land is a piece of legislation they should be fully versed in considering the area they cover.

Anyway have headache now and can feel myself getting grumpy again. Will let you know of any outcome from my complaint.

tom

(we had all the bacon and stuff ready fro breakfast as well - gah it never tastes the same back in the house :) )

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
stooboy, i work in the motor trade and its suprising how many wrong plates on cars storys i could tell you, most never make it to the customer but there have been cases of folk running about with the wrong plates for years

The land reform act is available to download, i read it all one day its a slog but the police guy is defo wrong, i'm sure there would be a case to defend yourself from prosecution of the plates with a new car if the worst came to the worst, the suplier of plates has a huge obligation nowadays

Its a shame it ended the way it did

F

Flumpie

The number of people who have no choice but to wild camp when walking in scotland it is a suprise anyone would come down so heavy handed!

I think the local officers should have a copy of the land-rights sent to them with a note not to complain but just so they don't contine to think they're right when they "move" wild camps on.

Jan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Only in Scotland.

I *think* that there are areas in England and Wales where it is permissable, but don't quote me, I really don't know any details.

cheers,
Toddy

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I am pretty sure this is right, in the past before the land reform act clarified everything, you could still potter about on folks land if you wanted to, as long as it wasn't there garden etc, even if the police came as long if you were not doing anything criminal then there was nothing they could do, the landowner had to take out a civil interdict against you where he had to prove you were being a nuisance, court fees for this was about £2k and they could only take it out against one individual, if someone else came along and started hanging about they would have to do the same with them?

There was clauses though, if you had music and it could consitute as a rave or if there were 7 or more people i think then the police could get involved

Toddy can you clairify this for us, i'm almost 100% sure this was the case previous to the land reform act, its just that it wasn't in black and white before,i forgot to mention it in my last post, it only popped into my head when i was reading this again

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I am pretty sure this is right, in the past before the land reform act clarified everything, you could still potter about on folks land if you wanted to, as long as it wasn't there garden etc,

Sounds about right.
....not that anyone ever knew. It was always a bit hazy.:rolleyes:
I don't really act any differently these days. I still just try to hide away, keep things low-key and if someone came along and wanted shot of me then I'd rather be somewhere else anyway.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Ok so I put my complaint in and a Police Officer had called around Friday PM to discuss the complaint. I was out and she left a postcard saying she would call back another time and the start time of her next shift. I am really happy they have to explore the complaint but I must wonder if this turning up at your door to discuss it is not possibly a little invasive - I mean I know people who simply would withdraw a complaint rather than having them at your door. Anyways Im probably just overreacting .... will let you know the outcome.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I hope it goes well.

I have had quite a few dealings with Tayside police in my professional capacity and so far I've always found their officers to be very professional, thorough, and fair-minded. So I'm fairly confident that this will be sorted out properly, but we shall see.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I hope it goes well.

I have had quite a few dealings with Tayside police in my professional capacity and so far I've always found their officers to be very professional, thorough, and fair-minded. So I'm fairly confident that this will be sorted out properly, but we shall see.

Yeah I must admit in every dealing Ive had with them as far as work is concerned they have been really good, well apart from some very pushy CID guys once but they were from Fife :)

I have a feeling we are talking about the same sector of work here :D

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
So had the Duty Sergeant arrive last night to discuss my complaint.

First of all - my complaint. Written in a wine induced "and another thing!" attitude - not the best I admit but it's not rude either. Please excuse grammar / spelling mistakes - trying to get this posted and do a pile of work at the same time.

"Dear Sir or Madam:

I would like to make a complaint regarding an encounter with Tayside Police on Tuesday 4th November 2008. The incident occurred at small woodland named XXXXXXX on the XXXXXXX.

We (myself and friend) had arrived at these woodlands at approximately 1630hrs on Monday 3rd November 2008. We set about making our camp and settling in for the night. At about 0800hrs (4/11/2008) I awoke after hearing a male voice talking – rousing myself I saw it was a police officer who had come in search of my friend after his car (which he had only had from the dealer for 1 week) had been reported as abandoned. After ascertaining my friends identity and clearing up any problems with the car the police officer then started to ask me questions in order to confirm my identity. I personally felt very offended at being questioned without any due reason.

The Officer then asked “Not at work today lads?”, now whilst I am sure this seems a very small complaint to make I really do not need to explain Annual Leave entitlement from my employers to the police – especially as no charge or investigation was being explored - I felt this to be heavy handed and invasive.

The second officer that was there then said “and we have been asked by the land owner to move you on as well”. Now at this point I did inform the policeman that we were wild camping as expressly allowed in the “Land Reform Act (Scotland)” – the officer then told me I was incorrect and that the act only applied to public land. This is wholly inaccurate. When I then started to protest and point out that the Act in England and the rest of the UK does not permit wild camping, the Scotland amendments do! I also pointed out that we were following the Outdoor Access Scotland code. Unfortunately both officers were adamant in their interpretation of the relevant act and asked us to still move on. Which we then did.

As a long time user of the outdoors (and wild camper) I was very disappointed at how we were handled. I found the encounter to be unduly invasive and frustrating at the lack of knowledge demonstrated by the officers, unfortunately in this situation the lack of knowledge is not met with a lack of authority and the public are left feeling frustrated and at odds with a service that was created to protect the rights of the public above all else.

Whilst I appreciate that sometimes people make mistakes in their everyday jobs I would like to add that if an officer is unsure then sensibly he should have gained clarification before telling me I am wrong and adopting a heavy handed approach. Surely one piece of legislation that a Police Force covering rural and semi-rural Angus should be very clued up on is the Land Reform Act – hence governing the Public's access to the land all around this area.

I would also like to point out that when the Officers turned up they said that it was due to a report of an abandoned car (my friends car), however after that had been cleared up it was stated that “the land owner has asked us to move you on”, - I would dearly like to know when this request was given because it certainly was not when the above described discussion was going on. In fact I got the distinct impression that the “decision” to move us on was that of the second policeman irrespective of our rights as laid down in the laws and statutes of this country.

Yours Faithfully"

Long drawn out conversation about the amount of crime going on in rural areas at the moment and this was the reason given for me being asked ID questions and a check being ran - I explained that I appreciated this and if this had been explained at the time then it would have been less of an issue.

With regards to the access to land issue she was actually very defensive and stated that the reason we may have been moved along is that the land owner may have requested it! - big gobsmacked but stated my point about being within the law and that would mean the Police siding with a Landowner against the laws of the country when they should be staying unbiased. This went on for quite a bit - asking if we had camped there previously, had we contacted the land owner to let him know, etc etc.

I explained that we had not contacted the landowner, and we had camped there previously. I also explained that we do not camp just anywhere and if its clearly a spot of land that is in regular use then we avoid it. If the landowner has stuck up fencing all around and locked gates and made the place look like a sign that shouts "Leave me alone" then we would do just that. And that you would be hard pressed to even know that we had been there when we leave.

She also mentioned that another of the reasons for being moved on could be that the officers were being "proactive" in light of recent diesel thefts, hare coarsing etc etc, at this point I had become quite fed up of being nice and resorted to pointing out that I was completely unwilling to have my rights curbed because some members of the public do carry out these crimes. I also pointed out that the law states my rights and it is not the decision of the police officers involved to decide to overrule a law!

At this point I was asked what I would like to be done about the events,

I asked that in future if it is not clear and that there is time that an explanation be given before ID details and checks are done. (turns out this should happen anyway). She did also mention that it is not always practical to do this due to the circumstances, I did laugh at this and replied with "Well at 0800hrs and both of us still in our bivis, I cant see us making a quick escape!"

And I asked if the officers could be made aware of the legislation and brought up to speed with applying it.

All in all it was a very unexpected but very useful debate and I certainly have become more aware of the problems facing the Police in rural areas but at the same time still stand by my original complaint. It is good to know that action will be taken to sort out these problems but nothing gets back that satisfying feeling of that morning when you wake up from your bivi bag, see this, smile and wonder if you should get up to make a brew to plan the day ahead.

04112008127.jpg

ps - i should point out that whilst this looks tranquil - stoo was asleep in his "nest" and the noises emanating from there would probably have been enough to be convicted of a public order offence at the time, he blxxdy well soon woke up when he thought his car was in trouble tho :D

Cheers
Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Neatly done :approve: Ver neatly done.
No offence, no aggro, just a clear abide by the rules for 'everyone'.
I think I'd be inclined to ensure that both the police station and the landowner are recipiants of the guidelines. There is an excellent book available from SNH on request. A simple courtesy to spare further waste of valuable policing time. ;)

atb,
M

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
It is a sad reflection of society in general that you are considered guilty until proven innocent by the police these days. I'd guess that they were probably talking out their behinds and making excuses for the officers involved. The police do like to have their authority challenged, as it tends to make them look a bit stupid, and they have a whole host of various infractions they can end up charging you with if you complain to much the least of which would be Breach of the Peace, their peace obviously.. ;) Of course it would be unlikely to stand up in court, but you'd still have to go through all the hassle of it all, where it's easier to comply. The police know this, and I suspect is one reason they use heavy handed tactics - they can get away with it.

I'm curious, how old do you think the officers at the camp site were? I've found the older more experienced officers tend to still have a much more relaxed attitude, much more of the 'old school' wait and see or cuff 'em round the ear type of policing, rather than the more modern don't wait and just cuff 'em style.

Nag.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Cheers Mary. by SNH you mean Scottish Natural Heritage yeah? in fact this one? might be handy wee read.

--------
Nag
I would have them as aged between early mid twenties for the one I was dealing with the most and the grumpy policeman was maybe a little older. It's funny but the policewoman last night alluded to the same thing with regards to age and the ability to talk to people.
tom

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Cheers Mary. by SNH you mean Scottish Natural Heritage yeah? in fact this one? might be handy wee read.

--------
Nag
I would have them as aged between early mid twenties for the one I was dealing with the most and the grumpy policeman was maybe a little older. It's funny but the policewoman last night alluded to the same thing with regards to age and the ability to talk to people.
tom

Good Stuff

think that one needs printed out and laminated for the back pack and in the car, be handy left visible on the dash in future me thinks.

Stoo,

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Mary,

Got my stuff delivered from SNH - cheers for the tip. The little bound book on the Scottish Outdoor Access code is very very good and will be useful as a quick reference.

Cheers
Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE