AAAGH theiving "&%)*$

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
I had my car broken into on monday night and one of the things they stole was my wilkinson sword wood lore knife. Now I need to get a new knife (It's been cleared with SWMBO hooray) but here's where i commit sacriledge and say I'm not sure I was that happy with the old one with regards to the cost versus niceness/useability equation. What can you guys suggest?

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Have a good look at Bison knives, there's a wide choice of styles and top quality. The F1's good and there are plenty of Scandi's which are lighter and cheaper. Then there's the BFK, top quality but quite a wait at present as are all of the top quality knives. The world is your oyster....

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
While Mozzy's Nessmuks are beautiful i would suggest that they are perhaps not suited to the same job as a woodlore knife.. i think Falcons idea is a good on.. you could also look at Stwert Marsh or a Shing bushcraft knives these will be more suited to the tasks your WS woodie would have preformed.. there is also the BFK to look at initial reports are good though im not sure they are currently taking orders.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Maybe i should have been clearer I like the style of the woodlore but it's the actual knife that just for some reason didn't grab me. I'll probably have a really hard time putting into words just what was the "problem" with it.
tomtom said:
While Mozzy's Nessmuks are beautiful i would suggest that they are perhaps not suited to the same job as a woodlore knife.. i think Falcons idea is a good on.. you could also look at Stwert Marsh or a Shing bushcraft knives these will be more suited to the tasks your WS woodie would have preformed.. there is also the BFK to look at initial reports are good though im not sure they are currently taking orders.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
What was your problem with it ?...weight, size, shape and feel in the hand, your ability to sharpen it ? Try to analyse these questions and people will probably have some suggestions..

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
I must admit that I cannot think of anything that this Nessmuk cannot do, compared to a WL type blade. Plus, it has the advantage of being thinner and lighter.
Then again, I prefer to use a knife as a cutting tool, not as a multi-purpose knife/hatchet/crowbar/shovel. :p

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I'd like to add that you shouldn't leave a technically illegal knife in your car. You can get nicked for that as it's not a private place.

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
Dean
I have a number of fancy Knives, woodlore, allan woods, Bison etc, I would not part with any of them but the best of the lot is my forst mora.

Ian

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I would second the Grohmann knives I have both the boat and survival models in the flat grind version. You can save 25% by buying them in the kit form this comes with blade and sheath finished and precut shaped and drilled handle scales you only need to rivet them on and polish/finish them to your own tastes. http://www.knifezone.ca/ use the currency converter on this site the prices are in canadian $
Dave.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Labrador said:
If you're after something a little different but very practical & capable have a look at Grohmann knives from Nova Scotia in Canada. I've found the flat grind #3 Boat Knife capable of anything I've thrown at it!

www.grohmannknives.com

And there I was, thinking I have fixed blades covered with an F1 and a Gene Ingram custom... now I'm looking at the Grohmann website.... :rolleyes:

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Mart it was either leave it in the car or take it into the pub where I was eating! And I know which one the police would prefer. :D

Marts said:
I'd like to add that you shouldn't leave a technically illegal knife in your car. You can get nicked for that as it's not a private place.

Falcon
The woodlore felt a little bit heavy just a touch i think the blade seemed fractionally too thick and the handle seemed a tiny bit too small it may seem really fussy but paying over a hundred quid for a knife is the most I've spent before and maybe I'm just being super critical

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
There is nothing "technically illegal" about any bushcraft knife, provided you have "good reason" to be carrying it. Yes, a private car is legally a "public place" but given the choice of leaving your knife securely locked in a car, or taking it into a restaraunt, which do you think is the responsible option?

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
dean4442 said:
The woodlore felt a little bit heavy just a touch i think the blade seemed fractionally too thick and the handle seemed a tiny bit too small it may seem really fussy but paying over a hundred quid for a knife is the most I've spent before and maybe I'm just being super critical
I wouldn't say you're being super critical as the feel, balance and size of a knife varies between all of us as individuals. And for what it's worth the handle's a bit small for me too....if I handle a Woodlore copy blank, I'll leave it a touch thicker.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Consider one of Ben Orford's knives. I have a Woodlander and Tina uses a Whittler. We have enjoyed several good years service from both and they are still doing well.

woodlander3.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
zambezi said:
Consider one of Ben Orford's knives. I have a Woodlander and Tina uses a Whittler. We have enjoyed several good years service from both and they are still doing well.

woodlander3.jpg
Zambezi......could you offer a few details on the axe please? Its a beauty!

Red

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
I knew you guys would come up with some good options i just never knew how difficult a choice I'd face replacing something that I don't think I appreciated till it was gone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE