A year not in the woods often enough

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
I was not sure whether to post this at all, and where. In the end I decided on the RC Meeters group as it is pretty fits.... but it is too long for the limit there so the Mids social area it is.

Tonight is an anniversary of sorts and I just wanted to express my thanks to you guys and gals - even though Wayland and Udamiano are having fun overseas.

12 months ago I was promising myself to lose weight, get fitter and aim towards joining the BCUK Arctic Course, having followed advice via the "Motivation" thread I would have been hanging at Rough Close January meet savouring the down winter bag that had been a late Christmas present in the knowledge that the GP had said 'I am not sure but it is probably nothing to worry about but lets get it checked'. Within a month testicular cancer would have been confirmed and surgery happened. Subsequently I discovered the GP was pretty certain that first day.....

I know that there are other members here that are also TC survivors; blokes are notoriously bad at looking after their own health and TC can be very aggressive but it also has a very good cure rate when treated promptly. As my oncologist says I was probably cured (so far there are no indications it remains or had spread) within 28 days ie when the surgeon removed the "traitor" that was home to the tumour. So in the words of the website Check em Lads and in in doubt DO SOMETHING the embarrassment is only in your own mind and the fairer sex have to suffer far worse.

Over the next year Rough Close and the RC Regulars were to feature a lot, one of my first days out in the woods round home was to have a quiet brew watching the foxes and remember Andy "Twang Twang", the first time SWMBO let me out to play it was for a day at RC as for some reason she thought you lot would look out for me :)

Late spring saw me at RC again for a Paul Kirtley weekend and my Dad was taken seriously ill and John Fenna was there for me during the day then Paul, Tinky and Wayland helped me break camp and leave in the middle of the night when he got worse. Anyway that took up much of the summer and RC and Damians woods beckoned again.

Guess what I had not long booked for the Paul K woodworking weekend when SWMBO was taken ill. I am going to have to stop making plans that involve you lot:( well this last is not proving as speedy as the others, so far Louise has spent 16 weeks in hospital with necrotising pancreatitis and associated problems in process losing about 20% of her body weight having eaten on about 10 days since September. :(

And yes at Louise's insistence I was able to attend and all you guys looked after my kit, fed and watered me so I could be in the woods during the day and at the hospital all evening. Things are still very unpleasant for Louise and I am making daily journeys to visit her in Oxford, BCUK virtually and the meeters have kept me sane at times this last year so thanks

Peter

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It's been a hard year for sure for you and Louise. :(

I was pleased that you were able to commute to Damian's woods for the PK weekend in October just to get some time out in the woods :) as I know how much it means to to people on this forum to have that time.

I wish both of you the best and may 2013 be a happier one for the two of you.

God what an awful year, my best wish go to you and your partner.
i think it's very brave and positive of you to post on here about your TC, well done mate.
Great that you have been able to find some solace and companionship amongst the members at your meets.
Wishing your partner a full and timely recovery.

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Best wishes to you and your wife. I hope that 2013 will bring you better fortune. It's good to know you have the support of your friends at the meets, and the members in general.
Atb
Colin.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi Peter - I knew that you were having some difficulties but had no idea they had been so serious and so varied - hope you can see a good end to it all - and to see you in a wood somewhere.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Tough times mate. Churchill, if you are going through hell,,,, keep going.
All the best.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Those weekends were to some extent, a calm before the storm for you two then....a storm you're weathering while still caring for your freinds health. You surely are an inspiration and I'll check my man as astutely as I check myself and make sure my lads get into the habit of doing the same.

Huuuuge good karma to you and your lass for 2013, Peter! :grouphug:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE