A wombling thread :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes, a pretty nice connotation, even with the grey hairs

You just had to remind me :eek:
They're not even grey though, they're shiny snow white :rolleyes:

I think it was the cheerful amiableness of the characters, and their happiness and contentment with the mix of the natural world, and the oddities that turned up in it that were just the very thing needed, that appeals to us, Macaroon :)
It sort of runs hand in hand with the Barter Network and the That's a Good Thing association :D
Of course that does end up firmly in the Hoarder and the Just in case of a rainy day society too though.

cheers,
M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm very pleased to be a fully paid up member of the rainy day society, and I don't know what I'd do without the Barter Network!

Until I read the last post I was busy trying to work out how Tengu knew I had grey hair!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Some words are just nasty

Like.....gusset

But I use that one correctly,
"In sewing, a gusset is a triangular or rhomboid piece of fabric inserted into a seam to add breadth or reduce stress from tight-fitting clothing. Gussets were used at the shoulders, underarms, and hems of traditional shirts and chemises made of rectangular lengths of linen to shape the garments to the body.[1][2]" from Wikipedia for simplicity.

It's the correct word for the right piece of fabric :)

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think people do have an instinctive like or dislike for certain words, and without corelation 'twixt either the people or the words concerned. I know when I read I'm aware of the patterns made by printed words, and there are words which are wrong in combination with others but fine on their own.....Language goes very very deep indeed into the psyche and a lot of these reactions are subconciously born and we only become aware of them when something external draws them to our attention...................I'd never considered ooze to be anything but neutral, but now, whether I like it or not, I'm going to reappraise my feelings for it.............

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Well I'm gonna say Moist, doesn't look right, requires a funny range of facial movements to say, & followed by some other words, one of which is referred to above.......

Vandeen heads up the wooden stairs to Bedfordshire with Wombles of Wimbledon tune firmly wedged in his brain so decides to share it with everyone (someone might even go & put it in the Friday night disco thread, now that would be evil :-D. )

Underground, overground, wombling free,
The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we.
Making good use of the things that we find,
Things that the everyday folks leave behind.

Uncle Bulgaria,
He can remember the days when he wasn't behind The Times,
With his map of the world.
Pick up the papers and take them to Tobermory!

Wombles are organized, work as a team.
Wombles are tidy and Wombles are clean.
Underground, overground, wombling free,
The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we!

People don't notice us, they never see,
Under their noses a Womble may be.
We womble by night and we womble by day,
Looking for litter to trundle away.

We're so incredibly, utterly devious,
Making the most of everything,
Even bottles and tins.
Pick up the pieces and make them into something new,
Is what we do!

Reactions: Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Again with moist, what about moist crumbly lemon drizzle cake? All to do with context in my head. Though I don't like turgid or got!

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Again with moist, what about moist crumbly lemon drizzle cake? All to do with context in my head. Though I don't like turgid or got!

Ooh you've got me started now, I find some people posts on here are quite turgid
(on re-reading thought I'd better clarify not yours :)

I blind tasted a couple of ginger lemon drizzle cakes the other night & one was dry and the other wasn't, & I described them as such to avoid using the word moist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIxkqoNi8I4

Remember you're a womble. :)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Moist sponge cake oozing with raspberries and cream :)

Guess who's baking tomorrow ? :D

Not fond of mucous or phlegm as words though :yuck:

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Moist is a good word...it has a bad equivalent...damp

This cake is moist...that's good

This cake is damp....never going to be a good thing!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The cool damp coral sand between your toes? A cooling damp cloth to soothe your brow? I think it's how you wrap it up with other words, though your right - certain words will never be sexy, like pustule.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Now phlegm is a fab word, it just oozes description, & like lynx a real good one to drop into a game of hangman with a nipper :)
you're onto the head and they're still guessing vowels

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Moist sponge cake oozing with raspberries and cream :)

Guess who's baking tomorrow ? :D

Not fond of mucous or phlegm as words though :yuck:

M

I'll pop round at lunchtime Mary! will bring some nice tea;) Sans the cream for me though:yuck: unless you have rosewater? Kidding but sounds GOOD.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'll put the kettle on :)
I've got soya and rice cream, Colin. Dairy free but oh way toooo sweet for me :shudder:

HWMBLT has made bread this morning and the house smells wonderful :) He'll slather [how about that for a word then ? :)] it with butter and end up in a slitter as it melts and dribbles over his hand :rolleyes:

atb,
Mary

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'll put the kettle on :)
I've got soya and rice cream, Colin. Dairy free but oh way toooo sweet for me :shudder:

HWMBLT has made bread this morning and the house smells wonderful :) He'll slather [how about that for a word then ? :)] it with butter and end up in a slitter as it melts and dribbles over his hand :rolleyes:

atb,
Mary

Hmm sounds good, amazing the amount of Scottish folk who slice slabs of butter onto bread so that they leave teeth prints when they bite in. I know it's supposed to be bad for you eating still warm bread but it's one of the joys of making it, though on bought bread I'm still partial to a plain loaf...
:rolleyes:

On the cream front I just find unless there's rosewater in it I feel like the dry boak (another good phrase). Don't know why.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE