A winter hike - some snowy sand dunes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike Harlos

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2004
Canada
Hi,

Went on a hike here in Manitoba today in an interesting area that is a small pocket of sand dunes. Still gets as cold as the rest of the prairies in the winter. Thought the photos might be interesting for those in different climates :)

Here's a row of trees on the drive out to the hike; these are a wind-break for a farmer's field. There was a fair amount of hoar-frost this AM:

TreeRow_p.jpg

Here is a view of the snow-covered dunes:

Dunes2_p.jpg

Dunes_p.jpg

These are likely rabbit tracks:

Tracks_p.jpg

My new Daniel Winkler knife; damascus blade, sheep horn scales, full tapered tang:

DW_p.jpg

Found some nice resin-rich fat wood in a stump of a pine tree blown down by wind:

DW2_p.jpg

And lastly, some seeds (I believe)... I'll have to look these up to see what they are :)

Flowers.jpg

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
nice looking area, is it coastal? Where is the sand from? I live on lowland former-glacial plains we have a lot of drumlins which look similar to those dunes, but they are made of rocky soil.

Lovely knife aswell. the rough forge texture on the flats is perfect.

Mike Harlos

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2004
Canada
Hi,

The area is central Canada, on the prairies. Apparently the sand originates from glacial meltwaters. Here's a quote from their web site:

"The area you are about to explore had its beginning more than 15,000 years ago. The Assiniboine River, much larger than it is today, created an enormous delta as it brought glacial meltwaters into ancient Lake Agassiz. Of the original 6,500 square kilometres of delta sand, only four square kilometres remain open; the rest is now covered with a rich variety of plants and wildlife.

Wind-patterned sand, cacti and high temperatures make it tempting to call Spirit Sands a desert. Yet the moisture received here is 300-500 millimetres per year-nearly twice the amount received in a true desert region. This abundant rainfall enables plants to colonize or cover the dunes, decreasing the open sand area."

jabbadahut

Mar 15, 2009
uk
www.8thcolour.co.uk
That knife is sweet, same as last post, the texture of the blade is amazing and i love the handle, beautiful because of its quality not because its pretty pretty.

your country is amazing, i have only ever been to canada in the winter which is my favourite season, the temprature range -30 to +30 is mind blowing.

If i were to emigrate any where in the world canada would be my 1st 2nd and 3rd choice.
plus you got icehockey too

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE