a wee moan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
At work we use images gathered from the internet. Many businesses do this. If we are contacted by the owner of the images and they can evidence ownership i.e. the raw file, then we remove the image.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
At work we use images gathered from the internet. Many businesses do this. If we are contacted by the owner of the images and they can evidence ownership i.e. the raw file, then we remove the image.

You need to be extremely careful doing this. Use free stock art. An advertiser on facebook recently ran a campaign for a canadian dating service using a 'found' image of a girl. Turns out the girl had commited suicide due to a particularly viscious facebook bullying campaign.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I feel ive got to say something here as Hamish is obviously talking about the two I have up for sale, bartooon it perfectly correct in what he is saying they are nowhere as good as hamishes work and being half as good as Hamish is something I aspire to. But as Hamish may have forgotten I did ask him to make me one of his leaf pouches as a commission but he refused as he was preparing to go away but he did suggest I have a go at making my own so I did, the first one turned out nice but not quite what I wanted the second was getting there but not quite (you can probably see the progression ) the one ive nearly finished is the one I intend to keep and honestly didn't think it would harm me trying to recover what it cost me to make them.
I'm truly sorry Hamish if you believe im copying your work, but if I made axe masks, patches, sheaths, pouches for 2oz tobbaco tins, knife blades, axes im sure you wouldn't be the only one. I'll pull the pouches simply out of respect to you but im sure im not the only one with rune stamps and similar embossing tools who will want to use them.

there's always two sides to a story.

Jim, don't remove anything mate, you have as much right as the next man.

Hamish, after suggesting that Jim try his hand at making a pouch then complaining that he copied your design is a bit much mate.

Dreadhead

You are all quite right and I agree with most of what has been said. My issue isn't my work being copied as folk want to have a go at doing it themselves. My problem is folk reproducing my ideas (I'm not talking about the pouches here which obviously do not originate with me) to make money from. For instance mountainM, if I made some of your svord sheaths and sold them as my own design I don't think you would be too happy

Anyway my issues are unfounded and this is clearly not the case I just needed a rant. A bit out of touch out here on my travels, I'm used to spending all my time making things and now I have idle thumbs. Some good honest work this week should the world to rights!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hamish, no offence but unless you have produce truly unique designs, not seen before then you have copied others yourself to some degree or other. Perhaps direct links would help otherwise your peeing into the wind chap :(

How are things in Norway? Good?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
How many possible useful designs are there for possibles pouches anyway and are these people copying you or just using the same basic design as you borrowed from somewhere else anyway?

Can't say I've paid any heed to them in general as they seem like a blokey version of a handbag to me but there you go.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
.......and Ozhaggishead's pouch design isn't his, it's mine. It's in the archives in 2005.
....and it's not mine either, it belongs truthfully to someone in the 1740's who made it and after the '45 uprising hid it away when all the tartan and 'highland' dress was proscribed.

It's the 'details', the little bits of artistry or subtle craftsmanship that makes an item specific (or prolific, iimmc) to an individual.

I've lost count of the number of my designs and patterns that others have adopted and run away with :)
Sometimes I feel sorry for them; imagine never having another idea :sigh:

They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery...well, it cuts at the time, but you move on, you keep developing, don't let things stagnate and become banal.

atb,
Mary

Dreadhead

Again, this is not about the pouches in particular but other items such as my mini beard combs, leather spoons (ha daft I know) and other things I put my own twist to.
But while we are on the pouches, yes the basic pattern for them has been used for decades and is the same basic lay out I use aswell as everyone else. But you have to put your own mark on it which I did with my maple leaf pouches which I had not seen done before, and my Viking shield pouches which again I have never seen done before. No I don't own any copyright over these twists in a basic design, but they are designs I have built a reputation for making which makes my work distinctive. There are other makers here who have their own twists and designs unique to them and I know if they were reproduced for sale they would be upset

This thread could go on and on so will knock it on the head while I can

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
OOH! i could say so much, where people have pinched my ideas, where we are talking, life changing sums of money, but hey ho! Like the Murphys i am not bitter.

Don't worry Hamish, when you return from your epic adventure, you will soon be back in the groove, and commissioning like a goodun, think you just had a moment buddy, maybe a public forum was not the best place to express your feelings, i have done it a few times and been warned by mods, and even thought the next day, what did i do that for.

Enjoy your trip my friend.

Ivan...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE