a wee moan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
A wee moan here as I flick through the forum and see a few things that seem odd to me. Maybe it is because I am in Norway so don't have as much time on here as usual, but I keep seeing items that resemble my own work and it is not the first time.

For example whilst I always encourage folk to make the popular possible pouches, as the original design belongs to no one, I think they should put their own twist to it as I have done with my leaf pouches and Nordic pouches. Whilst I certainly don't own any rights and makers will often draw from the same inspiration, I do feel that certain designs or items do mimic my own hard work which is my livelyhood. A look through some of my threads will show you what I mean in particular my beard combs and my style of leaf pouches

No real harm done, and most likely never intended. Drawing inspiration from me, like I have from others is fine, but copying is something else. It wouldn't be allowed to happen to another maker so why me? I have paid my dues, and built my own reputation and style so it is if course upsetting to me so I have to say something

Or is it just me being daft? Please tell me if it is all in my head

Thanks Hamish

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I hadn't noticed as I've not spent much time in this DIY and Traditional Crafts forum, Hamish, but if that's the case then I think something must be done about it. It's good that you've decided to speak out. I'm sure no harm was intended, but copying someone else's hard work is not right.

You do have a certain reputation here on this forum, a good one, and for good reason... I hope people will come to understand this.

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
What you are saying is fair mate. Ones living is important and needs to be respected enough to not directly copy. Gaining inspiration from your work is great, but if you feel an individual has directly copied it then that is unfortunate and unfair.

My advice would be for you to message any individuals with your concerns, as to let them how you feel and why it is importnat to be heard.

Keep your chin up though mate, I'll sling a few commisions your way! Infact, I have one that needs doing soon if you're interested. ;)

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Hamish maybe the ideas are the same as yours but you have a skill set of your own, and the finished article is superb your work will stand the test of time whether it is copied time after time or not some people see a design and do it maybe this particular design of the leaf is the easiest to copy for their skill set as your more complicated stuff just isn't worth attempting.
Look at it as them not copying but wanting to maybe be as good at the leatherwork as you .or you just up your game and blow us all out of the water again with your skills.
Take care fella

Dreadhead

Thanks for the kind comments fellas it means a lot. I was hesitant to speak up, as this is a great community for sharing and inspiration and I certainly.don't harbour bad feelings towards anyone.
I am genuinely not fussed if people want to recreate something I have made for themself or have a go, in fact I encourage it as I am not all about making money. My problem is seeing my work duplicated and sold when I have worked hard for it

I think what you said trev is the truth of it and they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
That's the spirit Hamish I have the same thing with tattooing but I'm sure somebody will come along and start engraving all you have to do is raise the bench mark and enjoy the competition it's all healthy mate and I'm sure there is no harm intended you should be proud that people want to follow in your footsteps and use your ideas

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It's a problem that there's not much you can do about I'm afraid Hamish.

I've had lots of my ideas copied, some even commercially which can feel a bit rough at times.

I just try to remain philosophical about it, knowing that there are many more ideas where they came from.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
I think I know the ones you are talking about Hamish and although they are nice enough, they are not in your league (IMHO).
Your work is of an exceptional standard and I have yet to see anything that comes close to being as good as you produce, so I don't think you need worry too much!

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
I feel ive got to say something here as Hamish is obviously talking about the two I have up for sale, bartooon it perfectly correct in what he is saying they are nowhere as good as hamishes work and being half as good as Hamish is something I aspire to. But as Hamish may have forgotten I did ask him to make me one of his leaf pouches as a commission but he refused as he was preparing to go away but he did suggest I have a go at making my own so I did, the first one turned out nice but not quite what I wanted the second was getting there but not quite (you can probably see the progression ) the one ive nearly finished is the one I intend to keep and honestly didn't think it would harm me trying to recover what it cost me to make them.
I'm truly sorry Hamish if you believe im copying your work, but if I made axe masks, patches, sheaths, pouches for 2oz tobbaco tins, knife blades, axes im sure you wouldn't be the only one. I'll pull the pouches simply out of respect to you but im sure im not the only one with rune stamps and similar embossing tools who will want to use them.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Don't remove your pouches jim.b. Hamish isn't even making them as he is in Norway and he just uses a design he freely admits came from ozzhaggis or some such maker. If designs weren't copied the human race would have died out years ago.
Unless its a patented or copyrighted design you may make and sell what you like, it is a simply rule of business.

Dreadhead

hey Jim, thanks for your comments I completely understand where you are coming from and feel bad for dragging you into it as this thread was aimed at several incidences

I think its great you have made you have made your own and understand trying to recoup your costs and that I'm not the only one to use runes and the like. I think I misunderstood your intentions and no harm done

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Hamish, for what it's worth, my advice is enjoy your time in Norway instead of worrying about copies of your work back here and when you get home carry on making the high quality stuff that has earned you such a reputation on this site.

Jim.b, I reckon you are well within your rights to sell your pouches and have done nothing wrong.

Dreadhead

Sound advice from all and agree that Jim should not remove his pouches from sale as I just outlined via pm.

And to say again this thread was aimed at several incidences not a single one by a single person. And in all honesty I have probably misread their intentions as I have done with Jim.b

Treadlightly you are right too, just killing some downtime while I have WiFi access before heading out to a new farm tomorrow to begin work for the moose hunting

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Sound advice from all and agree that Jim should not remove his pouches from sale as I just outlined via pm.

And to say again this thread was aimed at several incidences not a single one by a single person. And in all honesty I have probably misread their intentions as I have done with Jim.b

Treadlightly you are right too, just killing some downtime while I have WiFi access before heading out to a new farm tomorrow to begin work for the moose hunting

You better be bringing them moose skins back too! weould be awesome to see some truely original hairy moose skin possible pouches! ;)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, I see a lot of spoons and wood spirits here, don't I?

I do leatherwork but not to your standard.

Good luck with the moose hunting

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE