A snowy few days in the Lakes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Managed to get up to the Lakes last week so thought I'd share a few photo's from my trip.

Had a really good few days, took the Trailstar again and very happy I did as there were some strong winds which the Trailstar just took in it's stride!

IMG_5106_zpseea618b6.jpg

IMG_5135_zpsbf5ecd18.jpg

IMG_4907_zps7569ba8e.jpg

IMG_4863_zpsf5ff5746.jpg

IMG_4947_zpsf09131d3.jpg

I'll be adding a write up and more photo's to my blog over the next couple of days.

Thanks for looking :)

Matt

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Many thanks for replies and kind words re the photo's :)

Looks a bit chilly looking at the smiley on your TS

Yeah it was a little on the cool side! The Trailstar was frozen on a morning, managed to keep warm inside though! It was one of the first times I've used it in any strong wind and it just doesn't move does it! Very impressed

What sewing machine do you recommend for MYOG ?

Ta

Erm, I'd guess most machines will be up to the job and don't really know a lot about them to be honest, I just use my mums old one, think it's a Pfaff or something like that

Thanks again,

Matt

IMG_5190_zpsb74d72f7.jpg

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Erm, I'd guess most machines will be up to the job and don't really know a lot about them to be honest, I just use my mums old one, think it's a Pfaff or something like that

A Pfaff, that's what I would be doing without lessons......

Last time I used a machine was in the early 80s at school. I could not get the hang of the accelerator pedal, broke the needle and got the Tawse for it from my HE teacher Eleanor Rigby.

For the younger generation

Tawse= scottish word for belt
Eleanor Rigby - ...kept her face in the jar by the door... When she smiled her make up cracked. Drove a Renault Fuego.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
That looks fantastic and some great photos.
Would you mind doing a quick kit list to show what you used in the weather conditions.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Thanks for the further compliments re the pics :)

That looks fantastic and some great photos.
Would you mind doing a quick kit list to show what you used in the weather conditions.

Go on then... I'll include a more detailed list when I get round to doing the write up but here's the basics:

Pack: Osprey Exos 58
Shelter: MLD Trailstar
Sleep System: Mountain Equipment Helium 600 bag, Full length Thermarest Prolite mat, MYOG bathtub floor, Borah Gear bivy, silk liner
Stove: Jetboil Sol Ti
Poles: Cascade Mountain Tech Carbon

Clothing wise I tend to run quite warm so it's rare I wear anything more than a base with a windproof on top of it, when it's a bit cooler I'll add a mid layer under the windproof and that usually does me. Around camp or when necessary I chuck on my insulated jacket as well:

Base: Mountain Equipment Eclipse Hooded Zip Tee (love this top!)
Mid: Mountain Equipment Micro Zip Tee
Windproof: Montane Featherlite Marathon
Insulation: Mountain Equipment Fitzroy (best jacket i've ever owned)
Hat: Mountain Equipment Mountain Cap
Gloves: Mountain Equipment Touch Grip
Trousers: Montane Terra
Socks: Inov8 Debris sock

As you can see I'm a massive fan of Mountain Equipment stuff!

Also had all my waterproof gear with me but thankfully didn't need it, although I did use my tuff bags when packing away the frozen Trailstar.

Matt

IMG_5040_zps773a2a35.jpg

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah it was a little on the cool side! The Trailstar was frozen on a morning, managed to keep warm inside though! It was one of the first times I've used it in any strong wind and it just doesn't move does it! Very impressed

They're like limpets aren't they, I've been inside Hillebergs and Terra Novas in strong winds and not slept a wink for fear of taking off or getting a face full of tent, you just know the TS isn't going anywhere when you've got good anchors. You look to have it in the higher pitch about 120-130cm? I've never dropped mine right down, it's good to know it gets even stronger if ever needed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE