A slightly different Opinel (or two)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Saw these the other day and its hard to pass up a different Opinel. I've heard tell of the "Eff" range (slim blade) but not handled one. I really like the Eff.08 (bottom) - a lovely fine blade for a bit of bunny work. The Eff 12 (top) is a bit of a curiosity really, but I suspect it would make a cracking filleting or boning knife.

481703282_bc6fbca04b_o.jpg

The nice thing with an Opinel is you can buy it just to play!

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dont...Im trying to wean myself off :eek:. He popped round a cracking case for BBs multi tool last night...and took away BBs new skinner for some clothes :eek:

Which reminds me - I must do a photo write up of that too!

Red

Lee_shanahan

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2007
South Wales
I always use to look at the Opinel and thought it was cheap and ugly looking. I was down my local army surplus store a couple of months ago and seen a No.8 and bought it for some reason on impulse, fair play what a knife great little safety locking feature incorporated with it and the blade sharpens up to a razor finish. One of the best pieces of kit i carry.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Opinel make some great knives, for little cash, their full range is shown on the following link:
http://www.opinel.com/couteau-fermant.html

it's in french, but theres a flag at the bottom that changes it to English.

I've got a few different sized Opinels, and they're very useful.

At the French markets which sometimes come to town, I've noticed the French butchers on the meat stalls using these filleting knives to cut off tasters!

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I think so too, I accidently hammered the end of one flat suprisingly easy. Don't ask me how, I honestly can't remember.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I did bend the tip of my No8 recently, but I was using it as a screwdriver :eek:

On the whole they are an excellent bit of kit, and the only decent thing to come out of france.

Eric

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I don't particularly care for Opinels. I've had three of them over the years and they've disappointed me three times. But hey, I'm entitled to an opinion. :)

Still, I must say that those are some very nice looking knives. As they're no doubt for filleting, how much thinner are the blades than your standard run of the mill Opi?

Adam

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I think the filleting blades are, yes. But as with Mora blades, any differences between Opinel's carbon and stainless steel are minute. (But that still doesn't mean I like them!) I've went through a #8 stainless and two #7 carbon models in just under a year. I guess I'm rough with kit.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
My brother in law bought a no12 back from holiday last year and asked me to show him how I sharpen them.
Got it to hair popping very easily using a hoodoo hone and strop.

He was impressed. ;)

Mark

markw

Forager
Jul 26, 2005
Leicestershire
On the whole they are an excellent bit of kit, and the only decent thing to come out of france.

Eric[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the Legion Etrangere, although strictly speaking I think French nationals can't enlist.

Mark

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Red, I have both of those models. Excellent for the pack as they weigh almost nothing. I especially like the smaller one for bluegills.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Red, did you get these in the UK?

I bought a No 12 in France a long time ago and really want a smaller version, but no luck in the UK.

Could you pop a link up if you have one please.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE