A Sleeping Bag Temperature Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
I really can't afford to buy a 4 season bag, and even if i could i'd find it hard to justify; what with living in England, and travel plans which mainly include temperate/hot places. However, i'm going on the Arctic exped. and need something to keep me snug.

This is the sleeping bag i have, 3 seasons, can't check the 'comfort range' as its wrapped up in a bivvi at the moment, but from my experience its pretty good.

http://www.blacks.co.uk/camping/sle...hree-and-four-season-bags/product/095997.html

If i were to add one of these, says it 'adds over a season':

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/snugpak_...tory&utm_content=GBR&currency=GBP&country=GBR

Plus a silk liner i already have.

Plus the possibility of wearing my clothes in it.

I should be warm enough yeah? Especially when most nights there will be open fires in the tent.

I hope so, as i like the modul-arity (is that a word?!) of this system :D

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
In my humble opinion if you're going to THE ARCTIC, can you afford not to buy a really really good four season sleeping bag? I would have thought that was one of the most important things. Certainly not something i would risk.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
If it's on the kit list there's a very good reason for it.listen to those who are running the exped they know what you need.If you turn up without one you'll be marked as someone who doesn't listen to good advice.

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
There surely is a minium standard that you would need to hit, i dont think four season bags are designed to be used it that area of the world, I have a second hand ex mod bag that is rated for 4 seasons that i have used to minus 12 (26 in wind) and found it was fantastic, why cant you buy a second hand one or rent one from someone that has either done the artic or similar, we used to be able to list items of kit that were for expedition that were rentable, ie oxygen sets for high level works and evan coats what does the instructors say when you asked

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
There surely is a minium standard that you would need to hit, i dont think four season bags are designed to be used it that area of the world, I have a second hand ex mod bag that is rated for 4 seasons that i have used to minus 12 (26 in wind) and found it was fantastic, why cant you buy a second hand one or rent one from someone that has either done the artic or similar, we used to be able to list items of kit that were for expedition that were rentable, ie oxygen sets for high level works and evan coats what does the instructors say when you asked

I was lucky enough to pick up a new British Army Artic sleeping bag for £40 from evilbay. I recommend these bags even if they are a bit bulky. A 'cold' sleep could ruin your trip. You can always sell it on afterwards!

PREPER........ :)

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I was lucky enough to pick up a new British Army Artic sleeping bag for £40 from evilbay. I recommend these bags even if they are a bit bulky. A 'cold' sleep could ruin your trip. You can always sell it on afterwards!

PREPER........ :)

I've used my my british army arctic bag at -12 wearing just a vest and long johns and I was toasty. They are definitely amazing value for money.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I'm in agreement with the other posters here - if you are going to the Arctic, then an appropriate sleeping bag is simply a must. A quick look at the Expedition Medicine website recommends a bag capable of 0 to minus 20 degrees C http://www.expeditionmedicine.co.uk/resource.php?id=1 - anything less would be reckless and possibly dangerous.

There are some suggestions here http://www.survival-school.org/Default.aspx?tabid=249&g=posts&t=938, (surprisingly synthetic rather than down, which I always thought was the gold standard), and a quick search on the net will bring up a fair number of other possibilities.

If you go for the ex army ones, you can get one for £45 at the moment on ebay (the usual surplus shops seem to be all out of stock). Personally, I'd try Endicotts - even if the bags are not listed on their site, they may be able to get you one, and their service is second to none.

I've got a Snugpak Osprey 12, which is still giving good service after 16 years. The Snugpak site reckons the current model goes down to minus 25 (which is a tad optimistic), but the 15 Discovery might be a bit warmer still, and the 18 Antarctica goes down to minus 50! On Ebay you can pick up the last one for about £130 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SNUGPAK-SOFTIE-18-ANTARCTICA-SLEEPING-BAG-GREEN_W0QQitemZ170417665351QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportingGoods_SleepingBags_SM?hash=item27adaf3547 new (the Outdoorgb site you linked to has one for £143).

You might think that sounds a lot, but that's what I'd be looking to spend on a new 4 season bag for the UK. Remember, cheap is not cheap, expensive is not expensive. A crap bag might get you thrown off the trip, it will certainly be uncomfortable, and may even be lethal. Ask the people organising the trip what they recommend, either in terms of certain bags, or at least rating. It may save you time and money, and at least you'll have the right kit.

Good luck, and stay warm. And post some pics when you get back!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd also be tempted to shell out on a decent bag. A good quality bag should sell on after for a good price anyway.

It'd be a shame to have a miserable experience on that course.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
What the others say really. However if your really unsure why not ask the course providers If they have ever logged the inside temperatures of the tents you will be in during their previous courses. I know they cannot give a definate answer as weather is so unpredictable with temps etc but it may help you to make a choice either way.

Also remember that the more you put on or cram into a bag if it starts to compromise the loft you WILL feel cold end off.

Not used one myself but if they are good enough for the forces in those conditions it might be worth a punt on a 2nd hand one.

Hope you get sorted.

Enjoy your trip.

Andy

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
I have a british army arctic bag, and it's absolutely superb. It weights a bit heavy and it's also a bit bulky (expected after all) but it's worth it if it means a good night's sleep.

Mind you, I'm 6 ft and I *just* fit inside it, toe to shoulders. But I think they come in "long" versions too.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that mine is the (I assume old) one with down/feathers and the attached PVC bag. Probably the newer models are lighter and more compact.

Last edited:

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Arri mine says 1999 on the label, it's a medium, but is neither light nor compact.
Well worth the space and weight though.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Boy....

Well i think i'm gona just buy a Softie Elite 5 on credit, sell it straight afterwards then!

Anyone wanna baggsy it already?! :D

Also, is it worth buying one of those surplus 5 season roll mats instead of a thermarest?! Again will be sold afterwards if needed.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Go for the army one.
I used to have a softie and the hoods aren't head shaped at all, you'll get lots of cold drafts around your neck.
The brand new unissued one from strikeforce , as posted by andybysea, will be awesome, you won't be disappointed.
You could even get the fleece liner too, the pair would be cheaper than the softie on it's own.

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
Arri mine says 1999 on the label, it's a medium, but is neither light nor compact.
Well worth the space and weight though.

Just checked mine. It says 1980! That thing is older than me! Also it says 4 WFR, which with a bit of googleing I found it stands for The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters 4th Regiment (TA).

But for something that's almost 30 years old, it looks and works like a charm.

ScotchDave

Forager
Jan 6, 2010
Glasgow/California
Boy....

Well i think i'm gona just buy a Softie Elite 5 on credit, sell it straight afterwards then!

Anyone wanna baggsy it already?! :D

Also, is it worth buying one of those surplus 5 season roll mats instead of a thermarest?! Again will be sold afterwards if needed.

It's absolutely vital to have a closed cell mat as well as an inflatable, the closed cell stops the thermarest getting punctured, which would be a major disaster without the closed cell backup, as well as providing extra insulation.

Have a good time on the course,

Dave

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
i got one of these for xmas/birthday http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php?method=stock&id=20124&from=6

it covers temp ranges of 10c to -30c (with good quality thermal underwear) by using a system of two bags and a bivvy

for £100 quid, im covered from english summer through to the worst that winter here offers and beyond

it is far from compact and light however

in addition, i put a thermarest inside the bivvi and a karrimat outside, so snug and comfy :)

Last edited:

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
bought an army arctic bag of evilbay. looks like i'm gonna be buying a closed cell mat as well...

thanks for all the advice lads as ever!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE