A silly man?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I think your last paragraph is far too kind a comment.
These s.o.bs, quite frankly, are a bloody disgrace.

Why is it that they have to be so prescriptive with events in others lifes and deaths? why do they feel that they have to get their oar in?

I am left with one consuming thought...Jesus H. Christ, what has this forum come to; when the hell did it go so wrong.

I can't be emphatic towards everyone on the planet mate. It is sad that this happened, but no sadder than a junkie overdosing or a drunk dying of liver faliure. A life needlessly lost, but it happens every single day the world over, just because this man was into survival/bushcraft type stuff does not raise him on a pedestal above the OD'd junkie. Yet everyone would say the junkie did it to himself and he got what happens to lots of folk who do it. Was this bloke any different?

Last edited:

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Moron or a bloke doing what he wants to?

A balance is needed. If you want pure minimalism he could do it close to help if needed then if he fluffs it help is close.

If he needs that space and a feeling that help is not at hand he could trek with essential kit and cache it nearby.

Expecting him to bring satphone, bear spray. panels and paint die for the snow, teepee and stove is equally silly.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I know of people who have died doing what they love. However they were well prepared, well equiped and experts in their fields. They had many years doing it not just s few trips. They were qualified in the activity (although there isn't really a qualification in survival is there). They made the right decisions but still died.

I don't know if this guy made the right or the wrong decisions so can't comment with the same definitive viewpoint that some on here have (on either side of the fence). All I know is there is a family without one of their own.

If I was pushed to have a view I would say that a snow storm is not a good place to be in Ontario (i'm guessing only based on family stories of winter on the USA side of the border up there). That could be considered a bad decision. Also, practising survival is one thing actually doing it for real when you don't have to is another. By this I mean you do need to give yourself a degree of safety in risky activities. Survival is just that, it is survival in hard conditions usually when circumstances beyond your control have put you into those conditions. Anything other than that is just practising the techniques of survival. This is what he must have been doing on his other trips and what he wanted to do on this trip. What happened to him must have been true survival. Unfortunately he didn't manage it. That happens, but he is not an idiot but someone who had something go wrong on him. Whether that was his bad decision or worse conditions than he expected. Dead is dead so I wouldn't want to be in his boots.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There's a relevant quote from Mors Kochanski in this month's B&SS magazine:

"show me a person who has endured many life-threatening heroic episodes, and I am likely to be looking at an idiot. If you know your stuff, you should rarely make the news"

MODS - if I'm not allowed to quote from the mag please remove post :eek:

Although I agree in principal with what Mors says I think the relevant words are "many" and "rarely" implying some are OK. :confused:

Cheers,

Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE