A SEAL Pup Elite and some random skills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Earlier today went out in the woods behind the house to practice a few things. Since I had been sent a SEAL Pup Elite I wanted to work with it for a bit and see what it could do, maybe see how much the new design was an improvement over the old one. I bought an original Pup seven or eight years ago at Ranger Joe's Down in Columbus Georgia a few months after I had bought an original SEAL 2000. Being at that time more used to seven inch and larger blades, I decided the 5 inch/ 13cm blade was just smaller than what I personally wanted. I preferred its bigger brother so I gave the pup to a friend a few months later. Since lately I have been studying techniques from across the pond trying to get more into working with smaller knives, working with them from a different perspective, I guess it was only natural that I work my way back to the pup eventually. Actually, it’s a pretty cool knife to work with. It wears very comfortably. It’s light enough that I even forgot I had it on my belt until I went to drive to the store and went to put the seat belt on so it’s definitely not going to wear you down on a hike. I took a few pictures while working with it.

The first thing I saw and felt was the difference in the grip, the tapered shape of the new handle and the finger grooves it a very positive grip.

SEAL&

IMG_1206.jpg

Grip.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

Then checking out the edge I tried it out and cutting some fatwood shavings for use as tinder for lighting with a fire steel. It whittled the thin shavings I wanted easily. The good grip and shorter blade allow for excellent control.

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

I noticed that the rasp spine had nearly the same profile as the sparker of a Swedish firesteel so I tried it out. It throws GREAT sparks using the rasp. It only took a few sparks and I had flames.

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

You can see how the dust was left on the blade and on the spine.

AfterSparking.jpg

But it cleaned up with just a wipe on the pants leg, and only a little coating was worn off.

IMG_1215.jpg

The rasp also helped some when using the point in small tedious work. It gives a more positive grip when holding the knife by the blade itself. I made a line tensioner for tying out a tarp or poncho shelter.

I started by splitting two sides off of a piece of Birch and then whittling it down flat. Then I used the tip to bore two holes. The tip did great and this whole thing only took about ten minutes.

***Note*** I meant to say that the trick to the tensioner is to not get your "working" hole too big, the line needs to fit in it snuggly and you should feel resistance when sliding it.

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

Then I cut the end on the paracord so I could melt it into a clean end and put it through the holes. This thing has a great edge’

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

This isn’t the greatest lighting for these pictures; I’ll try to take some better ones tomorrow. But here you can see if you look hard enough the tensioner slack and the tightened. So far I like this little knife and not wanting to give this one away any time soon.

Tensioner-1.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg

****EDIT****

Just wanted to add a few pics that add a different dynamic to this knife...making it a GREAT wilderness tool

the addition of the SOG Power Lock. I'll post more with it later.

PowerLock-1.jpg

PowerLock-2.jpg

SEALPupandTool-2.jpg

SEALPupandTool-1.jpg

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
This was really interesting - thanks for doing it - I had always seen knives with serrations on the back as some kind of pointless Rambo clone but I can see the (good) reason for them on this knife

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I got my brother a sog seal pup(his is not serrated) for his birthday about 8yrs ago,he uses it as a diving knife, its a nice, well made knife, that holds a good edge.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I was looking to get the older model Pup. I am not a fan of what SOG have done with the new SEAL, the old one was much better in grip and blade profile, and looked and felt much sturdier. This new Pup looks like the business though, and I'm glad they removed the serations from the blade. Good review.

I was looking to get the older model Pup. I am not a fan of what SOG have done with the new SEAL, the old one was much better in grip and blade profile, and looked and felt much sturdier. This new Pup looks like the business though, and I'm glad they removed the serations from the blade. Good review.

Thanks all, glad you like. Actually with the pup you can get it with or without serrations on the blade edge...but not so with with the larger SEAL knife. I prefer a plain edge on my fixed blades and so far I am liking this one a lot.

Improviser

Tenderfoot
I bought a seal pup with satin plain blade from over the pond about 12 months ago- a bargain considering the exchange rate at the time.(£43 delivered!)

Its been out in the field a few times more on wild camps than bushy apps,echoing a few of Mistwalkers comments - strong blade, tip tougher than it looks, holds a great edge, rasp great with firesteel despite being aus8 and even sheathed is light & unobtrusive.

I have added a two loops made from 1" nylon webbing on either side of the storage pocket (compass,aaa maglite,whistle & mirror stored in it) to hold a firesteel and gerber diamond sharpening rod.

Well suited with the pup & it would double up as a great dive knife with a kydex 'groove' sheath. The only thing is it possibly looks a bit to 'military' for some bushtroops, but this doesn't bother me.

Cheers all

I bought a seal pup with satin plain blade from over the pond about 12 months ago- a bargain considering the exchange rate at the time.(£43 delivered!)

Its been out in the field a few times more on wild camps than bushy apps,echoing a few of Mistwalkers comments - strong blade, tip tougher than it looks, holds a great edge, rasp great with firesteel despite being aus8 and even sheathed is light & unobtrusive.

I have added a two loops made from 1" nylon webbing on either side of the storage pocket (compass,aaa maglite,whistle & mirror stored in it) to hold a firesteel and gerber diamond sharpening rod.

Well suited with the pup & it would double up as a great dive knife with a kydex 'groove' sheath. The only thing is it possibly looks a bit to 'military' for some bushtroops, but this doesn't bother me.

Cheers all

Sounds like we think a lot alike

Spent a little more time tonight out back checking out the Pup. I was already out there for other reasons and since it has become a close companion lately....It just sort of happened.

IMG_1283.jpg

It started with "trimming" a Part of my Black Berry bush that had grown so much from the recent rains it was hanging out into the trail and nearly snagged me. The knife is just barely handle heavy by some people's tastes, right on for others.

Balance.jpg

and holding the knife by the last two finger grooves it really does some nice quick snap cuts.

Briars.jpg

I also held it like that to chop this Mimosa.

Chopping-.jpg

Then, turning it as I did so, I trimmed it down in four quick cuts...you can see I was a little off with one of them.

fourcuts.jpg

and made a good little baton. More on what I'm going to do with that tomorrow...when I can see, I've pulled enough thorns out of my legs tonight.

Baton.jpg

sapling

Sep 27, 2007
Glasgow
Nice one MW.
Looks like a real tough knife.
Thats what I look for in a knife, something that can take some use and abuse when in the wilds, not something that looks pretty to sit in a cabinet.
Thanks for taking the time to post!

Nice one MW.
Looks like a real tough knife.
Thats what I look for in a knife, something that can take some use and abuse when in the wilds, not something that looks pretty to sit in a cabinet.
Thanks for taking the time to post!

Glad you liked it. The only "extra" time used was in the posting, and I like sharing what I find out...lol, the working with the knife itself is usually a pleasure. I have been a SOG fan for years now.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Nice bit of kit,not sure we get that sheath over here,I think it comes with a kydex one without the sharpening stone pocket,shame.
Nice review,very informative.
Chris.

Nice bit of kit,not sure we get that sheath over here,I think it comes with a kydex one without the sharpening stone pocket,shame.
Nice review,very informative.
Chris.

Thank you.

I think that was the old style sheath that now has to be special ordered. I think they are all listed in the current catalog as coming with the nylon sheath. Of course it all depends on which and how many the people selling have in stock.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I may invest Mistwalker! Any probs with the Aus8 stainless? hold a good edge? what about sharpening in the field,any comments?
Thanks.
Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE