a quick 1 night out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

barking badger

Forager
Aug 2, 2011
derbyshire
at 3pm as i was off monday i decided to do a quick overnight in quiet little woods thats on the edge of our field it backs on to a old disused coal plant thats been closed down for years, i walked down there the other day and all was well so got my bag on and off i went
its only a 30 minute walk from our house and was soon in the woods got setup and got the fire ready waited till about 5pm then it was brew time so got the fire going.
then after about ten minutes 4 off roaders who had been on the tips over the other side came down the old track next to the wood were i was they couldn't see me as it was just going dark but they saw my fire one of them said there is something in the wood and one of the others said we will come back later. this made me a little uneasy as i was on my own . if they had come and spoke to me i would have made them a brew but like i say was uneasy
so i decided to strike camp and come back home. so my night out tonight will be on the patio outside .here are a few pics from the woods
th_20120205_153146.jpg
th_20120205_154501.jpg
th_20120205_160825.jpg
th_20120205_170043.jpg
th_20120205_171103.jpg
th_20120205_171916.jpg

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
back garden nights out are often the best, the daftness of the whole thing just adds to the fun IMO. i'm getting close to sorting out a bit of permission over your way mate, i shall be in touch if it comes off

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Look at it another way they may have seen a fire and not wanted to approach in case it were a group of kids. They may check back to see if everything if ok.

I know its un nerving but not everyone is up to no good.
Would you approach a stranger in this day and age not knowing what might happen.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i get it now and again in the woods out my backs,...

crossers or quads tracking down the path about 300 yards away form my fave spot,...

they sometimes stop and look into the brush,...at my fire.

best thing mate,....set up a one nigher WITHOUT a fire,... get a feel for the traffic and go from there,....

you will always be the scariest thing out there from about 9pm onwards,....hahahaha

i know i am,....

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Why 9pm. I thought you scary in the daylight.

its my cut off point mate,....

throughh the day i,m like Clarke Kent (yes Kent) ,.....but by night fall,..well, anythings possible,...hahaha

i just mean that the dog walkers stop after 9 ish ,.....(local dependant of course) and once your set up then other than fellow woodsman types, who else is going to go romping about in the woods a 30 minute walk from anywhere....

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....who else is going to go romping about in the woods a 30 minute walk from anywhere....

in the area where barkingbadger was camping............well mainly deer poachers with lamps and high powered rifles. a friend of mine works as a part time keeper on a shoot over there, he spends a lot of his nights walking round with a stick, a dog, and a very nervous disposition

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
in the area where barkingbadger was camping............well mainly deer poachers with lamps and high powered rifles. a friend of mine works as a part time keeper on a shoot over there, he spends a lot of his nights walking round with a stick, a dog, and a very nervous disposition

fair play Stu,....

i have the usual idiots in mind ,..and of course, local knowledge comes first in most situations,..

if you ever need a care free (ish) night this far over just let me know and i'll point you in the direction of some good spots with fuel, and space to play.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....i have the usual idiots in mind......

me too mate, it's just that you get a whole new level of idiot in bolsover, it's the only town i've ever heard of where the police turned up and closed all the pubs to try and stop the fighting on a friday night, lovely place! (apologies to anyone from bolsover, when i said idiots i wasn't referring to you:))

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
raikey, either one of us has to change our signature line or we have to stop talking to one another, southey's getting way too much airtime here!

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
raikey, either one of us has to change our signature line or we have to stop talking to one another, southey's getting way too much airtime here!

hahahaha its cool,...he'll love it,...

he is a real attention *****, its true,.....

barking badger

Forager
Aug 2, 2011
derbyshire
Well i slept till 7.30 this morning when i was woken by the sound of good morning. I looked out from the poncho and saw my dearly beloved holding what can only be described as heaven a large mug of tea in one hand and a bacon sandwich in the other .so camping so close to home does have some advantage lol. she then rapped herself up in a blanket and we both sat there munching away the kids thought we were mad.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Well i slept till 7.30 this morning when i was woken by the sound of good morning. I looked out from the poncho and saw my dearly beloved holding what can only be described as heaven a large mug of tea in one hand and a bacon sandwich in the other .so camping so close to home does have some advantage lol. she then rapped herself up in a blanket and we both sat there munching away the kids thought we were mad.

haha thats mint although our lass said if i camped in the garden not to expect her to bring me cups of tea out lol

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire

mate, i want to come camping at your house, sounds great!

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
One thing about Bolsovers woods at the moment is they have plenty of Birch and snow :) Very Nordic looking.
I'll probably be in them tomorrow gathering materials.

Glad you managed to get out camping in the snow Mr Badger, Might try for a night out myself while theres some proper winter weather.

barking badger

Forager
Aug 2, 2011
derbyshire
I probably would have been ok as someone said they were probably just as weary at seeing a fire in the woods and not knowing what else would be there . But it all turned out ok with the bacon sandwich and tea and i never left my sleeping bag lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE