A more decorative flint striker.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
In the seemingly endless quest to find a flint striker that I like, I came up with this.....

IMG_1662_zps69bc05bf.jpg

IMG_1659_zpsa771aba8.jpg

Because folks don't use steels regularly, it seemed to me that making the steel something more decorative might be a neat way of "justifying" it's presence. Works great as a zipper pull or key fob (and can lever off the cap on your favorite adult beverage!), and also looks nice as a pendant or dangly thing on your pack or sheath.

I forged it from a chunk of car leaf spring and punched the hole while hot. I really like the gnarly texture and inclusions in the metal.

No telling what I'll come up with next.

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
Looks good, sort of thing that guy they found in a glacier back in the '90's might have had round his neck!

When using leaf spring for this application do you heat to cherry red and allow to cool naturally before working the metal? Did you use a grinder or traditional smithing techniques?

Thanks for sharing,

T

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Thank you all for the kind words.

When using leaf spring for this application do you heat to cherry red and allow to cool naturally before working the metal? Did you use a grinder or traditional smithing techniques?

Tom,

This piece was forged using traditional smithing techniques. What you describe is called annealing and is meant to remove the hardness from the carbon steel if you're planning to simply grind and drill it. Because I wanted something far thinner and lighter than the parent metal's original thickness of .25" would allow, a bit of time with hammer and anvil was called for. While I haven't been able to capture it on film, there is a pronounced difference in thickness between the centerline and edges of the pendant. I'd describe it as mildly oval in cross section, intended to present as small a face to the flint as possible. I thought this reduce the overall weight and make for a more effective striker because it means the force of the blow is focused on a much smaller surface area.

So far, she works a treat. Next one I'm thinking will have a bit of brass or copper anodizing to make it really stand out.

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Heh, heh, thanks Vaughn! Figured I might just be able to grind up a piece of old leaf spring. Slightly begrudge shelling out 25 quid for trad shape striker...

Tom, I quite understand. By all means, please feel free to copy the design. If you have a bit of spring, it will already be too soft (tempered) to make a flint striker, but also too hard to easily work with hand tools and such. Just anneal it and start grinding. I'd estimate that it would take approximately two hours with a grinder, drill and files to duplicate the shape and thickness of the one I forged, though you wouldn't be able to get the pitted texture using the stock removal technique. Still, a morning's work will see you with a very nice striker.

If I can help in any way, just holler.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE