Flint Striker made from a File?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi, I made a Flint Striker from a piece of a File,But after I quenched it,and tried to get sparks with flint,I didn't produce a good shower of them.
I'm wondering if I didn't get it hot enough before the quench,Does it have to be an Orange colour,or will a Dull Red colour do it.also is it better to quench it in oil or water.
Any help welcome
cheers

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I quench mine at an orange heat,sometimes a bit hotter in water(the steel im using at the moment quenches better in water).It also depends on the type of steel the file is made from..you may have used a more modern case hardened file which are no good.Also as i forge mine i grind the striking edge back to bright steel when ive finished to remove any of the surface that i may have de-carburised.
Try and find some right old files bud..

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The hotter you get it the better, what you are after is big crystals that are very hard and brittle. Get it as near white heat as you can, well a good bright orange anyway, and quench in water.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
did you temper it?

if may be that you made it too hard.

once you quench it - you should stick it in the oven at about 220 degrees for an hour then switch the oven off and leave it in there until its cold.

this should turn it a straw yellow colour - it is still hard but not brittle.

complete opposite to what robin was saying i suppose but that is how i do it and it works well for me.

andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE