A homage to sticks....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
While I was scraping noodles out of a mess tin with a split stick, it occured to me just how many things I use sticks for when I go out camping.

You can do and make so many things with a stick: pot hangers, walking sticks, tent pole, cook sausages, fire poker.......

The list goes on, what innovative and ingenious uses have you found for our friend the humble stick ?

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I always find a stick to go mushrooming with, you can expose the gills without using fingers.

James

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Yeah, good point - let's here it for sticks!

I don't tend to do anything particualr refreshing and exciting with them - poke people, whittle them, draw swirls in the dust.
But I've had a great time doing so, and thankful to each and every stick that has yielded to me.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
stick a couple of sticks in the ground and hang your walking boots upside on them!

How do you make one in to a toothbrush then? where do you put the batteries.... :)

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
arrows, spears, firewood, whistle, ummm.... fish tank decorations, reptile viv decorations, bird perches.... everything else others have said.....
shall be thinking of more...

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
How do you make one in to a toothbrush then? where do you put the batteries.... :)

LOL but seriously

Alder wood has some sort of bacteria in it that attacks the bacteria in your mouth. Find an alder tree break off a live twig about 6mm in diameter chew the end to separate the fibers and then clean each tooth individually with the end of the stick/brush.... job done.

and

no one has said this yet aren't stick where many of us start our knife skill you know the equation:

small boy/girl + pen knife = lots of twigs - minus bark + made pointy

P

Pcwizme

Toasting Fork, Knife for spreading, Tea Spoon, Welly Pegs, Bashy Stick (Mallet type thing when on HARD ground, Peg... the list is ongoing!

A Stick can be most useful fellow,
Be it Green or Brown or Yellow,
With there help we can stand Tall
With a stick in hand we shall not fall,
From Trees we gather them new,
Be they dry or damp with Dew
Every Stick has its use,
maybe not for catching moose

Last edited by a moderator:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Fishing rod
Baton
AtlAtl
Tarp poles
Kite poles (ala Cap'n Badger)
One of Toddys trays
Barby skewers

Long live the humble stick !! (And it's not illegal to carry one in the UK.....YET)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE