A good shelter maybe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Anyone got one of these ( I notice a few have been sold in the last few days)? If so what are your first impressions?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah I saw these and thought could be cut to make two canvas shelters halfs. Very tempting...

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
So nobody got one of these yet??

OK, I bought one; overall I think it’s a good buy.

The one I received is dated as 1993 (20 years old!) but I think it’s got a fair bit of life in it yet. The outer face is faded a bit (fair enough for its age). It looks like the zip has been replaced a while back but the one on it now is a real heavy duty one.

There is one small patch on the canvas (about the size of a 50p coin) near one of the apex eyelets and a couple of easily missed, unrepaired pin holes that could be sorted out with a quick stitch, but they’re so small I may not bother.

I would like to reproof it but not sure what would be the best for this cotton fly. The proofer could easily cost more than the flysheet itself !! However I have a 5L can of some vintage Wickes clone of Thompsons fluid in the shed; maybe it’s time to use it on this.

I already had a set of Vango Force 10 Mk5 poles and they fit the flysheet well enough. The canvas is thinner than a say, the denim in jeans but more like the cotton in a pair of combat trousers. The material is dense weave.

There are more pegging points than the Vango F10.

I would not hesitate to use this in the woods etc as it would be hard to damage it in normal use.

It’s got a lot of potential. Well worth it I’d say.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Basha, did you get the cheaper one? Also, what are the dimensions please? I guess if it fits a force ten it would be a 2/3 man? Do you reckon its waterproof as is or does it need proofing? Lastly roughly how heavy is it? Thanks.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
hi Treadlightly,

This was supposed to be a grade 1 but with the repairs made/needed was agreed to be a Grade 2 and the supplier promptly sorted out an acceptable solution for me. Top marks to the company.

Size is approx.. 12 feet long, 9ft wide and 5 feet high.

As it is, I think it probably could manage a reasonable amount of rain OK, but personally because of the age and unknown amount of use their waterproofness will vary between flysheets.

Weight is about 3.8 kilo.

It’s about the size of an F10 mk5, which Vango promote as a 4 man tent. However if you’re not using an inner tent it makes it pretty big, as you're freeing up the entire inner.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
It could be a lucky dip, but bear in mind a new cotton F10 Mk5 flysheet (in glorious Jaffa orange) is going to be around £140.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
hi Treadlightly,

This was supposed to be a grade 1 but with the repairs made/needed was agreed to be a Grade 2 and the supplier promptly sorted out an acceptable solution for me. Top marks to the company.

As it is, I think it probably could manage a reasonable amount of rain OK, but personally because of the age and unknown amount of use their waterproofness will vary between flysheets.

It’s about the size of an F10 mk5, which Vango promote as a 4 man tent. However if you’re not using an inner tent it makes it pretty big, as you're freeing up the entire inner.

Very helpful, thanks Basha

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Good find Cliff :)
hi Treadlightly,

The Ebay page lists it as 76 inches long which comes in at 6 ft 6", if its 12 ft long then it would make it useful for hammocking under. This is a big difference in dimensions, could you or someone else kindly confirm the ridge length please? :)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I took 12 foot to be the distance end to end, that is including the front and rear 'porches' although you wouldn't expect it to be almost twice the length as between the two poles. Also, 9 foot wide seems a lot, maybe that is the width of the canvas laid flat?

Last edited:

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
I took 12 foot to be the distance end to end, that is including the front and rear 'porches' although you wouldn't expect it to be almost twice the length as between the two poles. Also, 9 foot wide seems a lot, maybe that is the width of the canvas laid flat?

I've just double-checked; 12 feet long (end-to-end), 5 feet high and yes can be 9 feet wide depending on how far the 'A'-frame legs are splayed and how far you pull the canvas out. The 'A'- frame feet I'm using seem comfortably set at 8 feet 3 inches apart.

As I said earlier, I'm using an original F10 mk5 pole set; I don't know if they are the correct size for this tent, but they seem to work fine. If anything the legs could be made longer to raise the flysheet up. With so much canvas, I'd guess you could add/subtract the best part of a foot on the dimensions depending on the ground and how you pitch it.

As it is, the canvas is close to the ground, which I'd expect for a tent of this specification.

The bell ends are about 3 feet deep at each end; together with a 78 inch ridge pole (77 inch eye-to-eye) this gets a total length of around 12 feet. It's quite a big tent.

And an overdue thanks to Twodogs for bringing this to our attention.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE