A Get you started Knife and axe sharpening kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I've read through the articles and comments on sharpening here and elsewhere, but still unsure about what I should go out and buy to get me started.

I have a Mora carbon 840 clipper knife and an "as new" Staniforth 1 1/4 lb Kent style axe off ebay (for £3). I also have a Blade Tech Tungsten knife sharpener on the way, which I thought might do as a reasonable starter for the knife.

I can see that over time I will try different options for sharpening, but for now, can anyone suggest a list of what I need to go out and buy to get me started. I would appreciate some specifics (make and model if possible) because some generic descriptions still leave it difficult to know exactly what to buy.

I don't mind "investing" some money on this now, if it will save money in the long term. less than £50 would make me happy, but I would go up to £100, if that gave me a much better long term investment. You will need a very persuasive argument to get me to spend over the £100.

Many thanks,

Graham

BTW, this is my first post, and must say I have enjoyed reading through the forum.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
How about £5? Have a look in the edged tools section there is a sticky post by British Red on a £5 sharpening kit. I would advise get that first, it will do everything any other kit will do and you will learn a lot.

All sharpening systems are simply abrasives that remove metal, you start from coarse abrasives and work your way down to fine ones. Your axe will probably need a file too, see reds axe sharpening guide.

Different folk like different sytems because they suit how they work. I mostly use diamond bench stones because I am lazy and they take a lot of abuse and stay flat and functional. Japanese waterstones are great but need more patience and care and are less portable. Start with the cheap abrasives though and then meet other people nd play on their stones to get a feel for what suits you if you want to spend more.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I bought one of the blade tech sharpeners at a game fair,( the guys demonstrating it were exelent salesmen). I never use it now as i found it was eating away the blade of my carbon mora,with the amount of metal that it removed. I bought a falkniven dc3 and find it great to use and easy to carry.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Robin,

How about £5?

Yes, I've read this and the axe sharpening guide, and I agree in principle with the suggestion of starting here, but I'm not in a position of having bits and pieces lying around.

I would need to go and buy the bits of wood, and maybe buy a saw to cut them, and buy an inner tube,or something similar, so I thought I might as well buy some custom kit.

But maybe you are right and this would still be a good place to start. This is certainly what I did years ago with chisels, where I made a set of boards with different grades of wet and dry.

Thank for the advice.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I bought one of the blade tech sharpeners at a game fair,( the guys demonstrating it were exelent salesmen). I never use it now as i found it was eating away the blade of my carbon mora,with the amount of metal that it removed.

Mmmm, I must admit I wasn't completely convinced about the wisdom of this buy :-(

I will have another look at the falkniven DC3, as you have suggested it.

Thanks,

Graham

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Axminster powertools do a set for about £40 for whetsones and a holder,

I have one and it is very good, think it is an "Ice Bear" set

Hope this helps

Regards

Pignut

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Spyderco Sharpmaker will sharpen most things;knives;scissors;chisels;small axes.

Small box,self contained and easy to use.

Full instructional DVD and book come as part of the package.

There is occasionally a good price dealer sale on BB.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Axminster powertools do a set for about £40 for whetsones and a holder,

I have one and it is very good, think it is an "Ice Bear" set

Hope this helps

Regards

Pignut

Axeminster also do combination waterstones, I think they are ice bears too, £20 for 2 combination waterstones when I bought them last year, excellent, and excellent service too.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Axeminster also do combination waterstones, I think they are ice bears too, £20 for 2 combination waterstones when I bought them last year, excellent, and excellent service too.

Its the Waterstones that I found, but at £40 for a pair including holder.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE