A Few Hours Out - Finally

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JamieA

Need to contact Admin...
May 22, 2012
Swansea, South Wales
Hi Guys,

My first proper post so forgive me if it quite short. I finally found some 'me' time and spend some time outside now that it's stopped raining. There is a reservoir not far from my house that I've not been to since I was a kid so yesterday I thought I’d go for a quick walk and see if anything has changed up there. I set off at about 10 o'clock after I'd dropped my daughter at school and got to the hillside overlooking the res by about half 10 ish. A fantastic view I’m sure you’ll agree.

Brombil1.jpg

Brombil2.jpg

The water looked quite nice so I decided to walk around the hill to the other side and then to the base of the res to have a nice cuppa when taking in the view, plus it gave me another chance to get the hobo stove out.

Brombil5.jpg

Brombil8.jpg

Brombil6.jpg

Brombil7.jpg

Finished my cuppa (hobo stove was a git to get going as not a lot of dry fuel around due to the poor weather we been having) and decided to take a look around. Unfortunately it seems other less respectful people have also found this nice site. It’s shocking how people can’t be bothered to clean up after themselves or take home their litter.

Brombil9.jpg

Brombil11.jpg

Well I didn’t have much time before picking my son up from crèche so made a move, next time will make sure to take a black bag with me and try to clean up abit. I’ll def be making another visit but have learned a few things:

1. Never leave home without my trusty Mora Knife (a few feather sticks with the bark peeled off would have made fire lighting A LOT easier.
2. Never leave home without Bug Repellent (Migies everywhere).

Cheers Guys
J

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Great looking place, thanks for sharing the pics. Its so nice to see another person who will head back with black bags to tidy up, just a shame the people who left the mess couldnt be bothered.

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
Nice photo-story! Grab every free minute you've got.

...just a shame the people who left the mess couldnt be bothered...

It does confuse me too... "This place is so beautiful and natural man! Let's light a big f**king fire and throw our beer bottles over our shoulders like real mountain men!"

We had it from time to time in our woods. Clearing up was a bore, but I could never hold too much of a grudge; maybe if kids from the town had some good experiences out in the woods with friends round a fire, then an appreciation of nature would grow.

Actually, it wasn't the litter than bothered me, but the damage to trees. Massive bloody bonfires right up against beautiful ash stools. And I'm afraid the Bushcraft scene isn't necessarily blameless. We once had three lads who'd stopped the night, and were a bit surprised when we walked into their camp in the morning, chainsaws in hand. They explained that they were bushcrafters. It was all cool, we didn't get down on them or anything, but the bonfire they'd had! Melted beer bottles and everything. About four foot from the base of the most lovely maiden ash. It's all about education I guess, and they listened to what we had to say, but if they'd just asked permission, they'd've been welcome and wouldn't have blistered up that poor ash.

Oh dear, I seem to have gone off on one in an inappropriate place... sorry :)

JamieA

Need to contact Admin...
May 22, 2012
Swansea, South Wales
Yeah the hobo works well, £4 pounds biscuit tin from pound land, about 2 hours with a dremel and a drill lol. Did put it on my gas BBQ as the paint looked all crap, most of it off now though. Still need to find some ss or alu mesh though for the bottom as it'll help with ash and air for fire. Agree too, shoot em all. I went back up a couple of days later and there was even more of a mess, I tried to take all the rubbish but the size on some of the logs they were trying to burn (wet too may I add) was ridiculous and It will take a fair amount of effort next time I go up to try to clean away where they've setup a fire pit (I must confess I reused it this time though before trying to tidy it away) and the logs. Might try a heat reflector out of the wood before dispersing it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Remnants of human society in the little wildlife areas we have is pretty nasty, you go out for a nice getaway and theres a needle sat next to you or a pile of litter, or dog crap etc, you think your away from human chaos but then all of sudden a stack of jeremy kyle videos, trying to rest your thoughts is near impossible.. councils dont seem to do anything about it either, I think they like it, they like the torment it does, And the media a needle gives when a small child treads on one.

Rant over.

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
It’s shocking how people can’t be bothered to clean up after themselves or take home their litter.

Lovely spot :)

I always keep a couple of carrier bags/bin liners in my pack. Mesh pockets of rucksacks are handy places for stashing litter as well. It's rare I come back from walk or run without any litter - last week it was 2 1.5 litre bottles (one glass) left on Skipton moor, plus a load of chocolate wrappers, crisp packets, balloons etc. Sadly there's always more to pick up.

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
For the hobo, I got some nice mesh for the grate from Hombase Garden Centre. They do sheets and rolls. I guess most Garden Centres will do the same.

If there is an established fireplace, I will probably use it. My thinking is that the damage has already been done and I will not make it worse.

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
My thinking is that the damage has already been done and I will not make it worse.

Yeah, I tend to feel the same. But perhaps we should be clearing them away, treating them as a type of litter. It's not just the ugliness of litter than annoys me, nor just the frustrating attitude of the litterbug, but also the way it says 'you're not the first person here...' . I know I'm not, but maybe on some psychological level I sort of imagine I might be? Does this make any sense to anyone? Whatever, it reduces the wildness level of the place. For the same reason, it can be disappointing to arrive somewhere and find a fireplace.

JamieA

Need to contact Admin...
May 22, 2012
Swansea, South Wales
Cheers Bron, will check out the local garden centre ASAP. Agree that it certainly looks like the damage has well and truly been done but I'm sure the ground will recover over time once cleared away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Woadhart

Feb 24, 2012
Fife
Lovely spot for a brew.

Usually end up leaving sites with a lot more than I went there with these days too unfortunately. I always chuckle when I realise the next group to use the spot won't even realise I've cleaned up everyone's mess but I like to think and offer some silent thanks to those other's that may have done the thankless chore for me over the years.

I think the thing that gets me most about littered wild camps, apart from the folks that bag up their own rubbish and then leave it there (what's that all about?), is that when I've just arrived and I'm setting camp before I go into womble mode and do a litter sweep is that if anyone comes by the camp they could be forgiven for thinking it was my litter.

Firepits - My buddy still ribs me every time I go to the effort of wetting the ashes, gathering them and scattering before returning the ground to how it looked before we arrived. Leave no trace is the best policy in my view though.

Thanks for taking the time to clear up the area, you are a credit to bushcrafters. :You_Rock_

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE