A Dawn Paddle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Well after some Brownie Point negotiations I managed to get permission for a dawn paddle. Stuart_Blink and Zippy (from SotP) volunteered to come along too.

I did not get to bed till just before midnight and had to get up at 4.30am to get to the ready and be at the out in at Ardochy (Loch Lomond) for 6am. As I climbed from my bed I wondered if it would be worth it. It did not feel much like a holiday yet.

But Oh yes it sure was worth it. :D

6_4_07_01.jpg

Anyway the plan was to paddle from Ardochy (where the telephone is shown on the map) round some of the islands and enjoy the dawn, peace and tranquillity you get at that time of day.

6_4_07_02.jpg

I arrived a little before 6 am at the put in and got the canoe unloaded and ready. Prompt at 6 Stuart and Zippy arrived.

6_4_07_03.jpg

The water level has dropped a good foot since last I was here about a fortnight ago. There was a bit of a chill in the air but not too bad and there was only a slight breeze.

We headed round the north of Inchtavannach and down into the straits.

6_4_07_04.jpg

We headed right down the straits and to the near the mid north point on Inchmoan for breakfast, just as the sun was starting to think about making an appearance.

There were probably about a dozen boats dotted about the straits so the camping season for the bigger boats has obviously started. All the islands we visited had at least one boat with people camping out, except for the small island with the castle, which is really too small.

6_4_07_05.jpg

After some bacon for breakfast and some hot drinks care of the Kelly Kettle we headed off between Inchmoan and Inchcruin and continued round Inchcruin anticlockwise and also did a lap of Bucinch before coming round the north side of Inchcruin. Here we for a while the wind stopped completely and we had it flat calm.

6_4_07_06.jpg

We headed back through the gap between Inchcruin and Inchmoan before heading along the south side of Inchmoan and across to the ruined castle at Inchgalbraith

6_4_07_07.jpg

A brief stop here than back to the cars as Stuart & Zippy were going to Aberdeen and I had to get home.

6_4_07_08.jpg

We were loaded up and ready to head home by 10.10am. We were still the only cars in the lay-by and only four hours had passed but it was like a lifetime. In that four hours we had seen ducks, geese, deer and much more. Now a really felt like I was on holiday :D

Every morning should start like this ;)

6_4_07_01.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful John; really gives the impression of the calm of that time of day in a very special bit of the world.
Thanks for that, :You_Rock_
atb,
mary

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The slight sobbing you might hear is a frustrated weeping photographer.

That truly is a stunning photo John.

Red

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
British Red said:
The slight sobbing you might hear is a frustrated weeping photographer.

That truly is a stunning photo John.

Red

I can only claim part of the credit. I took some shots that looked good but needed a canoeist in them so I gave Stuart the camera and asked him to take some pictures between stuffing bacon in his mouth ;)

Had the colour balance set wrong though :rolleyes: so had to fix it on the computer.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Any chance of a higher res one of "the shot" John?

About 1280 by 1028 ...I need a new wallpaper, and whilst its 30 years since I've been in a canoe, that's jsut a stunning image!

Red

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Great pics. Dawn is the best time of day. Never experienced it from a canoe yet though :) .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE