A couple of questions for our Smiths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
HillBill. You should've given me a shout a fortnight ago. I let a 2cwt Brooks in mint condition go for £150. I still have a stand for it as well, as the guy wanted to mount it on a stump.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
A fortnight ago i was going to buy something else.:D But changed my mind a week ago or so, to setting me up to do some hammering :) Shame though, sounds like just the thing i need.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Never mind. I'll keep my eyes open for a similar one, and I'll keep tabs on this thread to see if you get one. That top one looks like a nice piece, but for £200 I'm sure you could get better given a little time. If you're like me though, my impatience will always get the better :D

Il

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Cheers :) That one is made by kirkstall forge. Does that imply its forged, rather than cast?

Yeah i've seen the ones on ebay. some look a bit battered. Others are ok but too far for me to go.

Anyone know what type of anvil this is? Curious as to the purpose of the cut out.

143991114.jpg

I think that is an anvil from a small powerhammer like a Blacker...The cut out is for swages.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
Like Everything Mac said, I have heard to avoid cast steel anvils. Although, as I have yet to get my forge properly up, I haven't hit hot steel on anything other than a sledge hammer face, nor hit anything above dull red heat :( course, I have a budget of about ooh, around 1€, so I have no hope for an anvil, or fancy forge. Once I get my workshop up and actually working, I will post something like "metal-bashing on a shoestring - mud and hammers":rolleyes: I have found out about a metal-basher near me, so I am hoping I might convince him to let me have a nosey, although his forge looked long rusted:(

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cast steel is fine - cast iron is what you want to avoid.

That second anvil does indeed look like one from a power hammer. Short and stumpy. It will probably be quite heavy.

I almost wish I'd been a bit more patient with my p.w anvil, the face needs a bit of work but otherwise it is pretty sound.

The guys over on iforgeiron seem to be ok with the anvil having a bit of a dip in the face- a "sway back" but I'd try and find an anvil with as flat a face as possible.

£200 will get you a good tool.

Cheers

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'm actually moving house when I get back on shore in a few days and I'm going to have to build a new forge when I get there. It will be on a tight budget so if you guys want I can do a build along type thread to show you how I will do it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE