A cautionary Tale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else

I recently bought a second hand TomTom Go 50 it was demonstrated in store and was working perfectly, It had first been purchased in Sept 2014, I bought it Aug 2015 all was great it performed well and I was really pleased with it, however I noticed it had never had the software or the maps and cameras updated ever, so I downloaded My Drive from the TomTom website to update software ect. After the update had completed the device said NO MAPS FOUND. I tried a factory reset to no avail so I called the help centre who took remote control of my laptop but could not restore my maps and advised me to send the device free of charge to the repairs dept.which I did, they acknowledged receipt of the satnav wed 10.09am and said they were going to look at the defective Item at 2.00pm they informed me the defective Item had been repaired and serviced and the cost was 109 euros and if I did not pay within 14 days the item would be returned as they had received it with no maps.
Looking online this has been a ongoing problem since about 2011 and TomTom have done nothing to rectify the software problem.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's really atrocious!!! I don't really know what to suggest to you but I do know that if any company did such a thing to me I'd be in a real rage; totally unacceptable behaviour :nono:

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Sue Tom Tom, under th consumer rights act there software has damaged your property, either that or t unit had a long standing fault, and demand at at very least a functioning replacement.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Sue Tom Tom, under th consumer rights act there software has damaged your property, either that or t unit had a long standing fault, and demand at at very least a functioning replacement.

Good advice as trading standards informed me they could not do anything because the believe as they asked me to pay in euros they are not based in Britain like they said oh and they escalated my concerns to the concerns Dept. I wonder if they have Bull Sh*t dept.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Well I've always found trading standards good, so they should know. But I should try ringing them again, you may have got a trainee or something. The 2nd hand thing may be the hang up, but I should try th selling of unffit/faulty goods to be replaced repaired at there expense avenue rather than the new map install route.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Good friend of mine(Nobby)sold his to another section member, when we were doing some dog training. Later that day, he was at home, when a car pulled up on his drive, & it was the person he'd sold it to, he asked if everything was "ok ?" she replied "yes", so he says "why are you here ?" & she says, " I just tapped in home, & this is where its brought me, why doesn't it know where I live, is it broken ?".......

She is a very intelligent lady, but blonde....

Rob

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Tom Tom have come good after numerous phone calls to what now appears to be a call centre in India, today I called their London office and was put through to their branch in Holland when after five min. they agreed to waiver all costs to myself he read the emails I had been sent and said it was appalling customer service.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Good result there, Mick, just shows the value of persevering and not letting these things sink........Nice one :)

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Good on you Sir !
If more folk complained and kept at it service standards would rise, its the British reluctance to complain that dooms us to fiftieth rate service IMHO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE