A Bit of Decadence

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
OK, here's a question.
What's the most decadent bit of kit you carry? By decadent, I don't mean most expensive, I mean the most luxurious, most (un)necessary, most self-indulgent. Yes, self-indulgent is it.
I'll give you an example. My most decadent bit of kit is an inflatable mattress. But it's not one of those self-inflating ones (too thin!) or even a hiker's mattress. No. It's a full-size (well, single-sized) navy blue, flocked-on-top, bought in Tesco for £7.99 camping mattress. And bloody comfy it is too! Oh yes, I know it's bigger and heavier than equivalents. Oh yes, I've tried other things. Fact is though, I get a smashing night's sleep on it and that extra weight/size pays dividends when it comes to a night's kip.
So, what's your most decadent bit of kit?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Don't always carry it, but that would probably be the stove-top espresso pot... Whisky doesn't count, it's an essential. ;)

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I don't think I camp with anything that's in that criteria :bluThinki

Nope, nothing :eek: . It's time to look for something I think :red: .

Actually, after a few more post have been added, some of the things do come into the criteria - chair, paraffin lantern, leather bags (a-la Wayland), my little kettle when out on my own, aluminium roll top table on ocassion and wind up radio. Not that these go out with me every time or very often. Damn, that means I can't have a bit of retail therapy. :(

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Most of the kit I take to meet ups would fall into the luxury category I think. :D

In general though I guess it would be the leather bags I tend to pack everything in.

Birch_pot.jpg

They aren't necessary but they do add to my enjoyment of the kit.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
A silver (plated) spoon. it's heavy, decadent but I justify myself with the antibacterial properties of silver:eek: . If you go out, go out in stile!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nothing wrong with folding chairs so long as your not backpacking; They are a great invention :) on offer at Wilkinson's just now, green two for £10. When I eventually get to buy my big tent, I'm getting a couple of camp beds, and a roll up aluminium table. Due to my knee(s) being shot, I need to take care and a little luxury is called for;)

Decadence at the moment would be taking more stoves than I need, but then, what's the point of a collection if you never get to use them?

What was decadent a few years ago, are just nice little add ons these days, wind up radio, MP3 player spring to mind.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
My great big shiny (well it was when it was new) Zebra tea pot, ah I just love a good cup of freshly made tea.:D
PICT0031.jpg

Bought it of evilbay for £3.10p from a shop in Bournemiouth - bargain.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Mine would also be a campbed / airbed (plus pump!).

A good night's sleep makes all the difference, and when car camping there's no weight issue.

I also have a lovely double-burner gas stove for use in the big tent - pork chops in cider, with saute potatoes and fresh greens is a great way to finish the day, better than a beanfeast anyway!

NB. this is when camping for fell-walking, rather than escaping to the woods :)

ehedwr

Apr 17, 2007
Pontypool
Gotta be my Roberts Personal Digital Radio and iPod Speakers. Got totaly fed up of listenening to Russel bleeding Brand on the radio on a Saturday night so I went digital. We now have Planet Rock!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Hmm. Probably my Uco Lantern. Be honest, there isn't really a need for it at this time of year, and in winter a torch would suffice or the milk carton windshield that Wayland makes at meets. It just adds a bit of nostalgic I don't know what to the whole deal, old style candle in a nice brass and glass container, you can't beat it.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My SDs loaded with Anime....

"And on this tiny card I have a 300 foot tall GIANT ROBOT....."

(oh, and the laptop to run them.....)

I don't count anything really unecessary if it enhances your experience and quality of your time outdoors, unless this ofcourse imacts on others enjoyment too. For example, I do find stereos awul and would gladly shoot the idiots who bring them out to wild places.

I too find an airbed a necessity due to spinal injury, it's not a luxury, it's a need. My luxury would be my coleman lamp and petrol stove, both unecessary, but both just make it that bit cosier on a winters camp, or my lumix cam, telescope, bivi boots, kelly kettle...the list goes on! :D

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Solar heated shower , more then 3 knives, at least 2 axes, at least 2 stoves, a cast iron dutch oven ( or 2 ) , and if going with 4 or more people, either my 50 centimeter nonstick skillet or my 50cm Cast iron "BEAST" skillet!! ( THIS ONLY APPLIES WHEN TRUCK CAMPING ).
The Fry pan is priceless for making breakfast for a crowd!
I would need 10 Sherpas if walking lol. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE