50 Years Ago...

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
God! it was cold then. I know about the cold, worked on rooves when I left school at 15yrs of age in the worst winter
I've ever seen, that Big Freeze 1962/63, it lasted long, I know about cold, made me even hardier than what I was.

Tiles and slates stuck to yer fingers, ice flows down the River Mersey banging into the ferry I took to work each day (very exciting :)) but I witnessed a lot of accidents too and was in a crashed van when our driver slid down the hill, across the main road and demolished a wall because of the snow.

I enjoyed everything about the snow as a young man but nowadays I just hope it's only a few days of it. I'm quite happy for it to be on hills and in colder countries (I've gone through snow with a 40lb pack on my back up to my waist, that was rather exciting too :)) where one can visit if yer into that kind of thing and need a play fix.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Christmas Day 1963 I spent sweltering and swimming on Coogee Beach, Sydney, Australia. We sailed for home via Suez two days later and nearly 4 weeks later I paid off in Husskinson Dock, Liverpool. Nearly 19 years old and the cold almost killed me. :hatscarf: Caught the steam train home to Sussex and the journey took about 16 hours, frozen tracks/points, snow drifts and a 6 mile walk home from Brighton, Coast road completely snow blocked, no buses/taxis...:)

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Parents were snowed in in an unheated, derelict cottage in Wales. I was born in September '64.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
We'd just got married and moved into a rented flat which we we looking after for a friend who'd gone to Greece for a year. In February he sent us a letter telling us that the swimming weather started next week. In his flat we had had no water for weeks because of frozen pipes and sat fully clothed in front of a tiny coal fire. We went to bed fully clothed and woke up with frost on the bedspread I also remember the winter of 1947 when I got trapped in the snow going to school. That's when the urge to learn survival skills first kicked in!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I was four living in a north Wales village in a house with only coal fires and which was cold. Generally from the sixties I have memories of big snow, huge icicles, lovely warm fires downstairs and bedrooms where it would literally be freezing when I woke up.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Thinking back, 1963 was a cold year all round for me, because in November '63 I was freezing cold (again) at a place called Duluth up on Lake Superior, loading grain for Russia when the grain elevators all stopped and everything went silent. The Mate went mad, worried we'd get frozen in if the loading wasn't finished. President Kennedy had been shot down in Dallas!!
No loading for 3 days and when we were loaded they had to get us out with a Royal Canadian Navy icebreaker..Glad to see the back of '63 :lmao::lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My Granny's sister in Canada sent over baby all in one padded suits for me and my brother.
They were filled with eiderdown :D
My Mum sewed me a rabbit fur muff too, fur inside to keep my hands warm :D We had rabbit fur courrans too for in the house.

It got so cold that there was ice in the toilet bowls, and folks used those wee flying saucer shaped parafin heaters in bathrooms to keep the pipes from freezing up. I still love that smell of warm paraffin :D Comfort and care.

Not a lot of birdsong though, nor the next year either :sigh: I was wee enough that I could see the birds in the privet hedges, lot of them died; probably from hunger, thirst and cold. They lost their grip on the twigs when they died, but they got caught in the twigs and lay in all funny angles, like fishes in a net.
I found a dead kitten one morning in our garden, my Dad couldn't even get a spade into the earth to bury it. So we just scraped out under the hedge and covered it up with leaves and snow.

Lots of falls and accidents too, and life was tight money wise for a lot of people. If you didn't go to work you didn't get paid, and if you didn't get paid you couldn't pay your rent or rates, and there were no barclay or mastercards then so there were a lot of worried folks about.
Some of the elderly struggled on their pensions as it was; many couldn't afford the fire on all day.
My Dad and his brother brought home sticks from work for the old ladies in our street, just to make it a bit easier. One of his friends owned the wagon works, where they repaired old wooden sided railway wagons, and he brought sacks of offcuts from old railway sleepers. Saturated in pitch they burned really well, sometimes you got odd coloured flames from them though :D and the smell was unmistakable as they burnt.

All those fires burning every thing folks could find left the lums full of soot. It's a scary sound when a chimney goes on fire, it roars and shrieks, but chimney sweeps were having problems getting up to the roofs, so it happened. Worse still when the burning soot came down the lum and fell out over the hearth. We were in a friend's house when the chimney went up and the children were thrown outside and told to run to the bottom of the street because the burning soot inside was bad enough, but the stuff coming out of the lum was red hot cinders. I still cringe just watching films of volcanoes erupting.

Good old days ?? :rolleyes:
Aye, maybe.
I miss some things, but I'm quite contented in the present :)

M

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Great city, and had some great Scouse shipmates. After 5 months in the Tropics, standing on the platform at Lime Street station at minus 0 C.. I thought I was going to snuff it.:hatscarf:..:D

Lime Street is a windy station, it was designed that way. It's the main air vent for the limited underground system. That would have done you no favours at all.
But it's nice to know you like the City.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A great winter for an eight year old :)

I think it would be easier these days, much much better housing, gas central heating, fully operational motorway system, better clothing etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE