50 gallon oil drum....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Picked up the above yesterday, its had engine oil in it, does anyone have any safety tip for cutting it ? as I don't want it catching fire !, will oil do this ?, or am I safe just to take an angle grinder to it ?.

Regards,

Rob

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Not safe and you need to clean it out first.

Drain it as much as possible and dispose of waste oil sensibly. Then wash out with detergent, neat. It won't take long and will be worth doing.

The heat from your grinder could easily vapourise and ignite trace oil, not a problem if it were on a flat surface but inside a drum that could literally blow up in your face.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
As above, I got one of these from work, drained the oil and took it to the recycling point where they had a "used oil" receptacle. Then cleaned it out with detergent and water, took some time, but was ok cutting it open after that..

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Oil drums are very easy to cut open using a metal cutting blade on a jigsaw. No sparks and the metal doesn't get hot enough to ignite the oil residues

I've done several using that method and then just had a fire in it to burn it clean.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The only one I've cut open, I was hugely paranoid about so even after thorough cleaning, the first bit of cutting (with an angle grinder) I had water still inside it to about an inch off the top. I figured that it was less wall space to be exposed to sparks but the water low enough not to cause issue with the grinder. I then drained a bit, cut a bit, etc until I was comfortable that it was open enough to not be a bomb.

Possibly over cautious but I figured better safe than sorry.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Gosh this is taking me back a bit.

We used to cut them with anything - they were already clean - quite often with hacksaw, then use a lump hammer to bend the lip over. They made good feed bins to put out in a paddock for the horses. Thickness of the steel varied a lot, the thicker ones were a sod to cut, took ages. Smack holes in them with an axe to let water drain (yes I know but my dad had no respect for tools).

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
I've used a similar method to Stew.

We've made lost of things out of gas bottles (the local depot always has a few orphan empties with no local dealers to return them to, that they are keen to get rid of).
Usually we use an angle grinder and slitting disc. But always purge them with water first.
After leaving them for a few weeks with the valve open, I drill a small hole in the top (with a sharp drill, you don't want it getting hot), then poke the garden hose in to the valve, turned on a for a trickle. That fills the bottle, with the small hole allowing the displaced air to vent.
Then I start cutting whilst there is water still in.

The only issues I've had was when welding one up that we had turned into a water heater. The solvent from the paint inside caught. Went with quite a whistle and blew all the dust off the patio!

I have seen petrol tanks welded up, still with fuel in. In that case, the air inside was displaced with CO2 from the welding bottle, so that there was no chance of combustion inside the tank. Though fire risk from leaking fuel was serious. Not sure I'm brave enough to try that myself!
But, I do similar when welding coated metal sections, where you can't get/see inside. Such as car sills where they may have paint or waxoil in. I purge them with CO2 first.

Jules

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Some good advice there folks thank you. The drum is in good condition & they have replaced the small drain plugs in it ! so I've not opened it up yet. I'm hoping to cut it in half & use it to make a fire pit in the garden.
Had'nt thought about using a jigsaw Mesquite, many thanks for the tip.

Rob

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
WEAR EAR DEFENDERS IF USING A GRINDER. Sorry for shouting but I've got this buzzing noise in my ears!!!!!!!! Yes, I didn't and it's only after that you realise what a Rodney you've been.

barclay03

Jul 14, 2014
Glasgow
Ive mauled quite a few oil drums with a grinder (for last minute bbq parties etc) and ive only ever made sure theyre empty and cut straight into it with no fire or problems. Take much more care when it comes to gas bottles ofcourse lol

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Well its in half, drilled all around it, then finished it with a hammer chisel. There was a case in Oxford in 2012, where a guy was killed cutting in to an oil drum with an angle grinder, food for thought.
Next step is to build the surround for it, then landscape the rest of "the pit".

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE