3x3 tarp for a man and a dog?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
What would be the best way to set up a 3x3 tarp on the ground for me and my dog to spend the night? I'm just and average guy at 6ft and slim and the dog is a collie cross with a staff, although is basically a collie!!

I was thinking either the old tent shape and a ground sheet underneath to stop getting damp off the ground or just have 1 side open and the other pinned down.

The first would give the most room but in heavy rain I'm sure it would just blow in the 2nd way is less space but more shelter?

Anyone got and good techniques with pics?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Either way would be be fine. How you pitch your tarp all depends on prevailing weather conditions anyway

Just remember your dog will take up a lot more space than you will :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think either would work just as well Ian, the trick is to give yourself enough protection from the wind and rain and at the same time give yourself the maximum amount of living space as possible.
Pitching it as an A frame side on to the wind will give maximum coverage but restricts you underneath, but a 3x3 is plenty big enough for one man and his dog anyway.

There's a few pics here which might help

Try doing a search for tarp configurations and setups and you should get plenty of hits. SimonM has done some clever setups if you can find them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE