3D printed leather stamp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Managed to misplace my leather stamp that I'd made in one of the group buys I organised a couple of years ago, despite having used it in the last week. Rather than go through the hassle of getting another GB together, thought I'd see how well a printed one would hold up.

Very well as it happens:
http://creffield.com/pics/bushcraft/printed_leather_stamp.jpeg

Fine detail isn't as sharp but it didn't break and only took about 20 minutes to make. The brown leather is 3mm veg tan. The green leather underneath is PU coated furniture leather and that stamp was done with the metal original - the PU coating doesn't take the impression very well.

The software I use to prepare files for printing (Ultimaker Cura) makes it very easy - just drag a picture into it and it produces a 3D model depending on how dark/light it is. Having this design in black and white already made it very simple and if it breaks I can just make another one. A lot cheaper than the hot foil ones too (obviously couldn't be used for hot foil as it would melt)

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Good job! My brother in law has access to a 3D printer at work, and I was wondering if it could be used to make leather stamps. Thanks to you, I now know!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It's another useful custom item that can be made. Pretty much zero waste with this too. Just a domestic printer, nothing fancy

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've got a Wanhao i3 Duplicator Plus - got it because they're pretty solid, all metal construction, and you can customise them easily, plus parts are dirt cheap once you know where to look. I've upgraded to an all metal hotend (initially bought a really expensive one but currently using a cheap Chinese one which is just as good) and I print almost exclusively in PETG - my workshop is freezing cold and ABS just doesn't work for me. I've also changed the firmware and I run it from a RaspberryPi using OctoPrint (which would be even better if my workshop had internet). The ones that Aldi sell are pretty much identical but they tend to go very quickly.

I've printed a few modifications - Z-axis braces, for example, Z-switch adjustable stop and a fan guard, plus a few more bits. All the software I use is free to download (legally) and filament is widely available. I buy most of mine from Technology Outlet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE