3 week Hitchhikng Kit List???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monny

Nov 30, 2008
N.Lanarkshire
Hi everybody!!

I'm looking for a little advice if possible? Its not entirely bushcrafty but I thought some of you guys on the forum could help!

I'm Flying off to Frankfurt Germany tomorrow and I plan to travel around Europe for a few weeks By hitchhiking... I plan to do a bit of (free) stealth camping whilst on my travels also...and I was just running over my kit list before the final pack!

I'm trying to go with as little as possible! and my kit will be carried on as hang luggage so it has to fit the dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm and not weigh more than 10Kg

Is there anything you'd reccomend I take that I've missed on here?

My Kit

I managed to fit all this into 2 PLCE bergen pouches with yoke: (still to weigh it!!)

- German Army poncho with paracord (shelter & in case it hammers down)
- Hobo stove...and a few supplies...sugar...salt..pepper..tea bags ...............oh! and water bottle! strapped to side of pouch!
- British DPM Bivvy & my 2-3 season synthetic sleeping bag
- Hygene Kit - toothpaste & brush, small bar soap, mak3 razor (minus blade), face cloth, roll on,
- FAK - 1x steri strip 1x wounds plaster - (got these from the nurse I know) -1x burns plaster, 4x paracetamol 4x ibuprofen
-Documents - passport etc...

Including what I'll be wearing - Boxer shorts x3, socks x3, woodland camo trousers x1, 1x t-shirt, 1x short sleeve shirt, 1x light zipper, 1x trainers

Electrical - camera and small tesco headtorch

What do you reckon? missed anything?

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
If you're hitchhiking, then maybe I'd go for less camo/ tactical/ OD stuff and look more like a 'normal' person. Jeans/ Slacks, no camo, Shirt/ Polo Shirt. Otherwhise the only ppl to pick you up might be the cops :D

Another point to consider is that if you have carry on luggage only and fly with Ryanair, then be careful, they are very restrictive. Stove, water bottle, ingredients.. you might or might not get these items on board.

What do you want to do in the three weeks?

Mike

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I used to do a lot of hitch hiking in my greener years.

Take a plain paper pad cut in half down it's length and a chunky marker pen to write destinations on.

I used to reckon it halved my waiting times and often quartered it.

As already mentioned, a clean cut appearance at the side of the road is a massive help too.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
If you need somewhere to stay first night in Frankfurt I can recommend here:

http://www.frankfurt-hostel.com/en/

Literally you come out of the train station and it's on the left of the main street, marked as a language school - can't miss it, next door to the greatest fried chicken place :D
Make your way down to the river of an evening - spot the locals having a dusk picnic on the grassy verge with a DJ booth nearby. Bring your own booze and watch the sun set behind the skyscrapers. Magic.

Monny

Nov 30, 2008
N.Lanarkshire
No, thats all Chris! I'ts summer time though! I should be alrite!

haha! yeah its gonna be great Lamper! It was just one of those spontaneous spur of the moment things! I only decided last week I was going! and only Germany because It was the cheapest flight I could Find...£20 return with Ryanair! (hand luggage only though)

My sleeping bag is just a cheap civvy bag I picked up out of Adventure1 in Glasgow about 5 years ago...think I paid £30 for it... I bought it for going to Malaysia in 2004... Aztec it says on it 2-3 season...I would say 3 would be pushing it a bit though!!

Monny

Nov 30, 2008
N.Lanarkshire
Thanks guys!

no..I had posted in the out and about thread!...but then I thought it was more of a kit chatter question!...I didnt know how to delete the out and about post!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I used to do a lot of hitch hiking in my greener years.

Take a plain paper pad cut in half down it's length and a chunky marker pen to write destinations on.

I used to reckon it halved my waiting times and often quartered it.

As already mentioned, a clean cut appearance at the side of the road is a massive help too.

Exactly the advice I would have given, big marker pen and some cardboard. Sign should be at least number plate size letters. Smile, make eye contact.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
food?:confused:

Id always take something spare just incase! even if it's some oxo cubes you can make into soup, or sweets.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Dump the hobo stove and take a little cheap gas job and get gas in Germany (no smoke or smell if stealth camping), you can pack a small one in a crusader mug, pre mix instant white tea with sugar and store in a zip lock bag, as Rappleby said, some food (hard boiled sweets maybe a couple of tins of sardines and a few cup o soups). No cammo trousers, pair of jeans would be better.

Food in Germany is good, big portions and excellent bread/pastry's and sliced meats (not forgetting sausage).

Sounds like a great trip and takes me back to my first solo trip to Europe when I hitched all over France aged 16 :)

http://hitchwiki.org/en/Germany

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Dump the hobo stove and take a little cheap gas job and get gas in Germany (no smoke or smell if stealth camping)

Yup, i agree haddn't thought of that, SMOKE = no stealth!

if forest fires are an issue in the area (which they are in big forests) any sign or smell of smoke could well be investigated! I always assumed that park ranger helicopters have Heat cameras on them because of that, (I'm probably wrong:eek:).

even the standard big shiney Trangia would be more stealthy than a hobo stove.
as an extra precaution dig the stove a pit to cook in so the flames/light can't be seen.

blue jeans I also agree, colour of clothes will only be an issue if people can see you, but obviously don't wear right colours, don't draw attention to yourself in the first place, camp well away off the track.

if you can get away without washing up anything would be helpful to you. stuff like mixing food in plastic bags rather than in your saucepan! you'll be saving yourself soap, water and possible food poisoning!, you can wash and recycle all the bags at a later date!

also simple things like,
No fire after dark.
No white light torches use red filters, (less easy to see)
No strong smelling food like: Coffee, Curry etc that may give you away.
Keep noise to a minimum, i.e. banging pots and pans.
choose a site where you get a good view of other people that may get close, then you'll know when to really hide!:naughty:
Don't choose a site in a valley where people can look down on you.
Keep your kit packed ready to go at all times incase you get "bumped" ie seen.
finaly think of a good reason you are there, if anyone asks!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE