2lbs Hults Bruk Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WealdenWoodsman

Forager
Oct 10, 2017
place
Hello all,

Just thought I would show a recent Hults Bruk restoration I have finished this morning. Its a post- 1988 (probably early 90s) 2lbs head fitted on a 27 1/2 inch Hickory handle.

I used to own a Gransfors Scandinavian Forest Axe but sold it as I felt the handle was just a bit on the short side for me (25 inch). Ever since I have been meaning to build my own version with the same weight of head but with a slightly longer handle.

When one turned up in the classifieds I really couldn't say no! Takes an excellent edge and performed very well of some lengths of seasoned Hornbeam.

I have added a few before, during and after pictures to give you an idea of what was done.:)

All the best,

Cameron

PS. I'm always looking for vintage Swedish axes, if you have anything with you think might be of interest, please PM me.

HB 2.JPG

HB 1.JPG

HB 2.JPG

HB 3.JPG
P1010099.JPG

P1010100.JPG

P1010156.JPG

P1010157.JPG

P1010158.JPG

P1010159.JPG

WealdenWoodsman

Forager
Oct 10, 2017
place
Nice job Cameron goodjob How long does a restoration like that generally ake you?

Cheers Tony. This one took about an hour and a half to sharpen and hang, the head itself was left in White Vinegar for 24 hours to clean of the rust. I like taking my time with these, quite a nice thing to do after a day at work.:)

Reactions: scottisha5

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
That's a cracker, fella - I really like it. The HB axes are really nice, I think. I'm in the process of doing two old Elwells - a Kent pattern chopper and a huge, 7lb felling axe that's going to go on a 36" haft (when I can find one that I like). The big one was found derelict under a hedge and had to be soaked in treacle and vinegar for three weeks, but has come out really well.

WealdenWoodsman

Forager
Oct 10, 2017
place
That's a cracker, fella - I really like it. The HB axes are really nice, I think. I'm in the process of doing two old Elwells - a Kent pattern chopper and a huge, 7lb felling axe that's going to go on a 36" haft (when I can find one that I like). The big one was found derelict under a hedge and had to be soaked in treacle and vinegar for three weeks, but has come out really well.

Thank you very much indeed. It really is amazing how well the vinegar works on the heads, the rust literally falls away.

Would love to see a picture of the 7lb head, that will be a real beast when finished!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE