2012 bcuk Advanced Arctic Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
A seperate thread for a debrief/write-up would be good. Hopefully it would get sticky status in a new Cold Weather Bushcraft sub-forum.

Anybody fancy going back in the summer/autumn to do a recce for a winter tour? I'm thinking of a 7 night circular starting and ending at Bardufoss and visiting the DNT huts in Dividal.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I too have been watching this thread since the beginning. Easily thread of the year. Bravo.

Interesting reading the what worked what didn't too. Notice the army bivi bags didn't fare well, what's the alternative?

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Here's a report of a 550 Km ski tour undertaken by a couple of Norwegian birds. http://ut.no/artikkel/1.7488352
Their route passed our training area. I found this snippet most interesting - You guys had no fishing equipment?
-No, but it was a proven choice for none of us is particularly fond of fishing. We got a lot of questions about the fish we had, said Marie, and people wonder at us when we do not even have fishing equipment. But several times, there were a few who took pity on us and gave us fresh fish anyway. So it was even better than having the fish yourself.

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I too have been watching this thread since the beginning. Easily thread of the year. Bravo.

Interesting reading the what worked what didn't too. Notice the army bivi bags didn't fare well, what's the alternative?

Mine worked ok! ( 2nd trip arctic winter with it.)
Not realy sure of an alternative.
Chris.
P.s If ( and its a BIG if! ) I could get the funds together , I would be up for that Bob.
My best.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Camp-Quinzhee.jpg

Pictures almost finished....

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Suggestions for our next time out there:

- some extra lessons on snow types and related uses/dangers
- more on trapping, fishing and foraging
- advanced shelter building and fire management in the (extreme) cold
- a couple of days solo, if safe without sleeping bag and mat
- a daytrip up one of those stunning mountains
- traveling in the snow (use of ski's/pulk/toboggan; camp routine; orientation/navigation)
- a sauna to finish ;)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Suggestions for our next time out there:

- some extra lessons on snow types and related uses/dangers
- more on trapping, fishing and foraging
- advanced shelter building and fire management in the (extreme) cold
- a couple of days solo, if safe without sleeping bag and mat
- a daytrip up one of those stunning mountains
- traveling in the snow (use of ski's/pulk/toboggan; camp routine; orientation/navigation)
- a sauna to finish ;)

That sounds great. Going without the bag and mat really appeals.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE