2012 bcuk Advanced Arctic Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The shutter on my 5D, the main camera I was taking has just jammed.

It's too late to get it fixed and I don't have the spare cash anyway this side of the trip so my first week, which was principally intended to be photography, has just been totally kyboched.
sad0.gif

The only good side is that my packing has just become a lot easier.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
The shutter on my 5D, the main camera I was taking has just jammed.

It's too late to get it fixed and I don't have the spare cash anyway this side of the trip so my first week, which was principally intended to be photography, has just been totally kyboched.
sad0.gif

The only good side is that my packing has just become a lot easier.

Realy sorry to hear that.
Do you, at least, have a small back up?
Chris.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Just had a bit of a practice pack, without food but including axe, laplander saw and snow shovel and the weight came in around 24kg, so I've got weight capacity for some additional kit and a basic food set. However, I was hoping to get by with the Crusader, using the side pouches for a carry-on pack, but I'm bulked out and overflowing - no sleeping bag in there either!!:eek:. So that's not going to happen! I'm now looking at the Crusader as hold baggage and a 30l daysack in the cabin for the journey - and I'll be doing some food shopping there too. Phew!

Anyone else had the same problem?

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
We're all in the same boat. I'm in Norway for 18 days and I'm also doubling up on a lot of kit as I wish to test various systems e.g. pile/pertex vs wool, alcohol stove vs Primus etc. I've even resorted to stuffing small items in my Thermos flask!

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Just had a bit of a practice pack, without food but including axe, laplander saw and snow shovel and the weight came in around 24kg, so I've got weight capacity for some additional kit and a basic food set. However, I was hoping to get by with the Crusader, using the side pouches for a carry-on pack, but I'm bulked out and overflowing - no sleeping bag in there either!!:eek:. So that's not going to happen! I'm now looking at the Crusader as hold baggage and a 30l daysack in the cabin for the journey - and I'll be doing some food shopping there too. Phew!

Anyone else had the same problem?

I just did trial packing session take two.
I thought I had it all packed and sorted. Total weight was under 30 kg, dimensions are OK and my main pack fit comfy in the flight bag. Then I realized my snow shoes were not yet in the pack. These things take up quite a bit of space. Stuffing them down the flight bag one by one is likely to create tears or holes in my pack or the flight bag.

You are all quite right, bulk is more of an issue than weight. I need to get it all out, fix my snow shoes to the pack and then get everything tight so it will fit in the (80L) flight bag. I managed to get a couple of days worth of food and snacks in my cabin bag. The rest I will buy in Norway.

Good luck everyone and for those that are heading off soon: safari njema :)

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Does anyoe know the freezing point of medicated wipes (alcohol based)? I'm hoping they'll be useful for tagnut management.

udamiano

On a new journey
Does anyoe know the freezing point of medicated wipes (alcohol based)? I'm hoping they'll be useful for tagnut management.

If its isopropyl alcohol types then your good to -89C which is its melting point., although the water content (20%-30%) might freeze.
Info.off the manufacturer tech.page.does say that you don't allow to freeze, so I would suggest above its water freezing point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE