#2 re-handled Hultafors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just re-handled this one today, not as neat as it could be as I've got one hand in plaster but I was getting cabin fever! I wanted a small blade with a fair-sized handle to use almost like a large sloyd, so I chose the small Hultafors with the orange handle: I've done a couple of the bigger brutes by them and they work really well, and this little one is scary sharp and very easy to fettle on the strop............Handle is a bit of Wytch Elm that's been seasoning for about 4 months, toshed with a couple of coats of Walnut oil rubbed in with the hand, the brass is from a 25 yr. old maartini that bit the dust last year.................Comments welcome, good or bad!..........atb mac

IMAG0256.jpgIMAG0257.jpgIMAG0258.jpgIMAG0259.jpgIMAG0260.jpg

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Nice job! I like the top-view in the third pic. This inspires me to improve the Hultafors that I have lying around somewhere.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
@ Dreadhead - I shaped the handle to my good hand and yeah, it's really comfortable, for once I paid no attention to aesthetics.

@ Two Socks - They're great work-a-day blades for pence, and really easy to re-handle.

@ Reverend Graham - I think you need to see somebody qualified, or buy a Grey's anatomy!

Thanks for the comments, guys............................atb mac

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
@ spandit - I've got a plaster splint on my left hand which allows all the fingers to move but not the thumb, so it's not as dramatic as it sounds; one and a half handed then! I got 'round it with much use of the vice and a little lap shave-horse thingy I've made up....................

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I like it especially the wood, if the feel in the hand is good then you are on a winner.
I have rehandled plenty of the same blades so know what the process is, if it was me doing it to use as a carver then I would take more brass and wood away from the bolster end, that way you can get a better grip when fine carving, say 5 mm or less, of brass each side of the blade..

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks all for taking the time to comment........

@ Hugo - Anything smaller than this is impossible for me to hold safely at the moment 'cause of the state of my hands, but it feels great for now and the option will always be there to take a bit more off; different story
trying to add a bit on though!.........atb, mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE