2 new designs... (Pic Heavy)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi guys.

Just finished 2 new designs off. I'd be grateful for your opinions. :)

The top knife, is called the Humpback... this one is in 3mm 01, 4" blade, full flat ground, with African Blackwood handle. I did the grind on this, completely freehand, no jigs or guides., never done that before... Pretty much nailed it first time i think :)

The second is called the Crow... again, 3mm 01, with Olive scales..4" blade. i probably should have done this first one in Blackwood too, given its name :)

Just finished a Kestrel too (Eagle necker) in 3mm 01 and Walnut.

Hope you guys like them.... give us your opinions :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Wow, the quality of the knives is always good but now the foaties are great, too; I like the look of the Crow, handy-looking tool.........But I reckon all who know me here will know where my heart lies, eh:)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The crow has the Eagles handle.... Is just as narrow, but has extra length on the blade, and a slightly different spine shape. This one should perform well too ;)

Thanks mate :)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Like the little Kestral and would compliment my Croc.
The second one the 'Crow' is very similar to one you did for me the other year.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thanks guys :)

I love the look of the Kestrel - that is just crying out to be used! Fantastic stuff, as ever!

Like the little Kestral and would compliment my Croc.
The second one the 'Crow' is very similar to one you did for me the other year.

The Crow... i can't decide weather its a stretched out Eagle, or a refined SPB1+... same handle on both.... but i'm turning away from wider blades these days.. and all me designs are getting refined in the near future...Its quite different to the one i did for you... different handle... similar blade i suppose, but any narrow blade without much belly will look like that... Similar to Reds knife too i think.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Very nice mate, I particularly like the second one. I wonder.. the blade shape of the second with the handle shape of the top one.. now that would be handsome.

And I assumed all knife makers started their hobby by doing free hand on the machines first?? you cheated! lol

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Just seen these on FB love the little necker still think you ought to send them to me for appraisal 😉👍 great knives all of them.

Sent from somewhere?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The crow looks a very tidy knife. Powerfully pointy, if there can be such a thing?

Eagle necker, nice but could do with just a little more blade for me personally. whats the length on it 2"?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Very nice mate, I particularly like the second one. I wonder.. the blade shape of the second with the handle shape of the top one.. now that would be handsome.

And I assumed all knife makers started their hobby by doing free hand on the machines first?? you cheated! lol

Cheers Sam. :)
Freehand grinding is the hardest there is, and also the most versatile, if you can freehand a full flat, then in theory, you should be able to freehand convex and hollow too... most start with jigs or guides as far as i know. I've never used jigs, but have always used a guide plate.

Very nice knives mate - i especially like the Crow and the small one. Keep them coming.

All the best!

Thanks mate :)

Just seen these on FB love the little necker still think you ought to send them to me for appraisal  great knives all of them.

Sent from somewhere?

Haha :) Cheers fella :)
It was just a blade blank that I handled.
I remember the one. :)

The crow looks a very tidy knife. Powerfully pointy, if there can be such a thing?

Eagle necker, nice but could do with just a little more blade for me personally. whats the length on it 2"?

Cheers Adam :) The Kestrels blade is 2.25"

Stunning work Mark!

Thanks Cam :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Mark, just been looking through some of your old posts but a lot of the pics have gone. Any chance of doing a crow, eagle, kestrel comparison pic please mate
Tis only to satisfy my curiosity though :D

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Thanks for that mark, its the handle on the kestrel that was throwing me. Bigger than average for a necker

I bet the crow has a nice balance to it if its got the same handle as the eagle.

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thanks guys :)

Aye, the crow feels good, i've not used it yet, as i will be putting both that and the Humpback up for sale, but i know it'll perform.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE