2 Coil baskets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
ive been making these the last couple of days, thought i'd share them with you all. They should be ideal for foraging and collecting berries etc. I payed particular attention to maaking the stitching neat, you see how it spirals out from the centre...

Ive started making another one, this time it is going to be a round shape with a neck at the top like a varse. Im going to coat the inside with a spruce resin mixture that i have been preparing today which should make it watertight.

miscoil3.jpg

miscoil2.jpg

miscoil4.jpg

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
Hi Jon,

Love the baskets and I'm very interested to see how you get on with the pitch coated vase shaped one. Not something I've ever actually tried but I do remember reading somewhere that the native american way of getting a nice smooth finish on the inside of a pitch coated container with a small neck opening was to pop a heated round pebble in and swish it about until the pitch had been suitabley smoothed and evenly smeared around the inside.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Hey Joe, thanks for that info, i'll be experimenting with hot stones now for sure. I started applying the resin today, i'm applying it as i go along. To my spruce resin i added fat, finely ground charcoal and bees wax from my dads bee hives. It's the first time i have made this combination of mixture and It seems to be an excellent recipe from what i can see so far.

By the way, your website and courses look great!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE