1st back garden tarp pitch! Thanks to BCUK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
So I'm fairly new to the whole tarp and hammock gig! My 1st hammock has arrived courtesy of TW. Went for a green hornet. Thanks to Neil of TW it is now waiting for me at my brothers house in Lancaster. Neil is an absolute legend and sorted myself and my brothers out with a green hornet each minutes before he was going on holiday. It's a long story but he simply saved our bacon for being able to hammock in Galloway at the end of the month!

So as I can't play with my new hammock, and the DD tarp is on order, I thought I'd have a play with my new (ebay) web tex basha/tarp that is going to act as an admin/cooking tarp for the 3 of us.

Thanks to this forum it was so much easier than I thought! I've been practicing tying the siberian hitch and taut line hitch on the coffee table leg, using instruction from BCUK posts. If I hadn't I think it would have taken me a lot longer and it wouldn't have felt so secure!

I'm in half a mind to grab the bag from the loft and have a backyard overnighter! :D

526322_547710504434_1167119889_n.jpg

1408_547711512414_30671521_n.jpg

644264_547710469504_1024372084_n.jpg

I tried a couple of different configurations and it's so easy to drop it and re position! I was surprised at how comfortable it is out fo the wind. I could definitely get used to this! :D

So basically its a big thanks to BCUK and long may I be a part of it! :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think you should have a wee sleep out, the weather ain't to bad, You're gonna have to try it at some point, might as well be it the yard 'cause if it is bad the house is just there and if the light pollution isn't to bad where you live there's the PERSEIDS just now which are great and the reason I've been sleeping out up here just now.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looking good, always worth testing your gear at home before trying it out in the field. Plus it gives the neighbours something to talk about ;)

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
Cheers fellas! Aye, I've got a much better idea of how I want to pitch it now! As an ebay special I noticed a couple of pin ***** holes where the ridge line webbing is stitched on but I'm sure they wont cause too much trouble this time as we will be in the forest as well!

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I still remember my first night outside under a tarp - I jumped in the deep end and did it on a very cold night.

It took me ages to get the hammock and tarp set up to what I thought were the correct positions. Woke up in the night cold and wet - I had put the hammock too near the tarp and I was melting the ice which had formed on the underside of the tarp and so getting wet.

I was really glad that I had set up in the back garden and could just go inside to a proper warm and dry bed.

But yes - be prepared for all the jokes about - 'wife kicked you out again has she?', and generally being regarded as a bit of a nutter.

digitracker

Mar 29, 2012
Leeds
Get yourself out tonight the sky over Leeds is stunning at the moment, you probably couldnt get a better night for a practice run.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE