1945 Sheffield cutlery set, what do you think?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi everyone...I am new here, so many apology if I am posting at the wrong place.

Anyway, I was at my mom's place over the weekend, manage to dig out two sets of this old looking Sheffield cutlery set. Have a look at 'em pictures.
Mom was thinking of disposing it but I thought I'd rather keep them among my pile of other stuff :)

IMG_7964.jpg

IMG_7965.jpg

IMG_7968.jpg

The above stamp indicates ' B&J.S.Ltd, 1944'

IMG_7971.jpg

The above engraving is found on the underside of the fork.
On the right it says 'COMPACTUM, STAINLESS STEEL, SHEFFIELD'
On the left it says '1945, RICHARD'S' (what does this mean?)
The same engravings/ markings are found on the butter knife

IMG_7973.jpg

IMG_7974.jpg

IMG_7976.jpg

IMG_7977.jpg

I was thinking that this could be part of some military or camping kit from the England or sort. So thought, I'd find out here.
They are super light, doesn't weigh much at all.
Some of the years don't match, so I suppose some of them already got mixed up.

Many thanks in advance for any info!

Regards,
KEONG (Malaysia)
http://my-rainforest-adventures.blogspot.com/

p.s...sorry for the lousy pics

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I also have two sets of these, one bought when I first went to camp as a Wolf Cub just over fifty years ago and one set bought in a junk shop about thirty years ago for my wife.

Both are still going strong, used for every outdoor activity we have ever done, hiking, camping, picnics, barbecues and so all that time. Both sets are as I bought them, They are bomb proof.

Richards is a famous Sheffield knife maker and they were available in most camping outlets of their day but they were, as I recall, a little expensive so did not sell too well.

The arrow on the knife is known as a 'Pussers (pursers) Mark' and indicates that it was bought by the British government in 1945 so the set you have defiantly have military origins.

Keep them and use them, they will out last us all.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've had a couple of sets, one issue and one I assume is a post war civilian camping gear example as theres neither the obligatory date stamp or crows foot. They are still going strong with my boys, bomb proof.

ATB

Tom

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
That set was issued to the British Army for a lot of years from I believe 1938 right up until the early 80s I think. I was issued with that exact set when I joined in 1972. They were great for everything except cutting meat. The knife, which is not a butter knife but a standard table knife, is typically blunt, fine for taters or peas but a waste of time for chops or steak. Huh! I don't actually ever remember getting steak come to think of it, but if we did that knife would have been as much use on it as the spoon. They are however very robust and are a good sized set of eating irons. Well done that man on finding a good set.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
I had a set of these (sold them on evilbay last year), stood up to everything a cub scout could throw at them, my brother also had (or maybe has) a set from 1946 (mine were 1944) and his spoon was a different shape (more rounded, and the knife didn't fit as well because of it )

I miss my set, but they just didn't fit the right time period for the rest of my gear

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi everyone...thank you for all the reply. Much appreciated. It's interesting indeed. I have not known anyone from my family being in the army, let alone the British army. Perhaps this is something I can ask my mom more. Perhaps my grannies got them during the British/ Japanese time and somehow being 'handed' down to my mom.

Fred...let me think about it. Thanks for your interest.

Regards,
KEONG (M'sia)
http://my-rainforest-adventures.blogspot.com/

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I know these well.

They were widely issued to military, police and civilians (e.g. foresters, linguists) on service during the Malayan Emergency. My father had a set and I'd see it when he unpacked his pack to give me the Mars bars which he saved for me.

They were in the store room for many years used them a few times for camping trips in my younger days. I wonder where they are now

I doubt if they are WW2 issue since a 1944 manufacture suggests that they did not arrive till late 1945 post surrender at the very earliest.

Use them when you go out into the bush.

11b inf

Jan 8, 2008
phx. az
that kfs set is/was part of the pattern1944 set of equipment and was a vast improvement of the older set of a loose knife fork spoon...that set of kit had all kinds of hot weather kit improvement to help the British soldier in the jungle or hot weather enviorment..other items of pattern1944 kit were an American style water bottle and mug,p-44 poncho, and p-44 webbing equipment to inclued large and small rucksacks..other items wer also part of the pattern -44 equipment jut to many to list here...vince g.11b inf.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE