what do you think of this..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
to date i have not yet done a folding knife, so after being asked to make a copy for commision i have decided to have a go and came up with this friction folding design....

it has no lock at all so if the blade is small enough it would be legal carry, with all the normal rules etc etc..

im thinking either 3mm O1 with scandi grind or 6mm W2 with hammon and higher grind...

anyway what do you think gents???????

the closed knife how it might look.

this is how it may look with with the blade frofile in the handle.

and a view of the open knife with the others...

thanks

chris.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'd go for a flat grind on a folder myself, also I'd try to find a way to merge the blade and handle a bit.more when open, so the top of the blade flows into the handle. But I'm far from an expert.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
now you say nthat mike i see exactly what you mean, but thats easy to do just move the pin back and round the profile a bit more...:)

thanks dude..;)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'll take one.....before or after ;) great concept ...... oh hell yeah

The Mighty Oak Is Merely A Nut Who Stood His Ground

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ha ha ha ha, its alllllll because of you mate....:)

you got me thinking...:) the wife says thats never good, because i will spend more time grinding causing MORE DUST!!!!!....;)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Good 'elth
Tell her I'm sort of sorry LOL.
What would the scales be ?
I'm getting giddy at the edc concept....please consider me signed uo

The Mighty Oak Is Merely A Nut Who Stood His Ground

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
nay probs mate, DONE!!!!!

scales would be wood, or stablalised wood or mycarter or corrian or etc etc etc etc, you get the picture...:)

this one will be wood though, not sure yet what, somthing hard though probley, might use some cherry as i have plenty ATM, and it looks good...:)

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Looks good, i would also try to bring the back of the blade level to the top of the handle but thats my personal choice:)

Looks a good project though!!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hey Chris , if it ever becomes reality , i would deffo be up for one , i have some lovely spalted beech in the garage , from a massive tree i cut down myself six years ago, Savagebushcraft has already made a knife for my daughter using some, kinda personal you understand .

Regardless of you actually getting your project to finished article or not you are welcome to a bit if you want .

Ivan...

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
I was a little tipsy and thought I could steel your drawings there and do a 3d representation to see if it would work, in a half hour. Ended up taking an hour and half. I'm tired now. And its a bit s%*t quality but here it is

[video]http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/merrygold85/?action=view&current=layer2_1.mp4[/video]

Could do a better quality later if you like. Or stills or whatever, but bed is calling.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
I have noticed that the folding knifes that have endured the test of time are unbelievably simple.

Simple implies theres less to go wrong and a well made blade thats simple in design is what lasts generations.

P.S Having looked at your work i'm very impressed and would really like a fixed blade and folding knife made to my specs, if you can do this please send me a message :D

Sorry for going off topic

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Ivan, your a star and very kind offer old chap...:) i will say no for now as im just trying this style of knife out first, if it turns out ok i will let people know as and when, WHEN that happens :) i will be more than willing to take a small amout from you...... thanks again Ivan..

Sappy, thanks for looking at my work its alway nice to know people take the time. i have sent a PM mate....

regards to all.

chris.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Mark, thats awesome, i cant and dont have a clue how to do that sort of thing...:( thanks for taking the time mate.... hows that blade of your????? started the handle yet????

keep safe mate....

chris.

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Ha, I was going to give you some images of it to show how I had to slightly change some of the parts to make it work, but then I realised that you know what you are doing and I am a silly person.

That blade you gave me is a b*tch, man. I did the oven jobby. Is that the heat treating or the tempering? But then I tried to sand/file it down to nice shininess. Holy crabapples, the effort! I could only get so far before I had to say that it'll do as it is. Now I see why you guys all use grinders and the like. My meatless arms couldn't hack it. Neither could Claire's ears. She trying to watch telly and me sitting about 3m away filing that blade haha.

The handle is well under way. By no means elaborate. Just need to shave a bit off one side as the hole for the tang is off-centre, and whittle up a bit of a finger guard type piece that I don't know the jargon for, and glue it on.

So yeah it's coming on slowly. Thanks again for the blade though, that was unnecessarily good of you. When it's finished I'll post a thread.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
cool, glad its going ok, when you "tempered" it in the oven, did you make a bit shiney like i said, and wait for it to go brown, if not it could break when you first use it, as it will be brittle.......

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Yeah I did, I really should have done the bulk of the sanding and stuff before the tempering, and I only did it on one side too. That's a lesson well learned for next time.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
as it was a forged blade i was going to leave the scale on the flat sides of the blade and just shine up the bevels, as thats what shows its been forged...

the sanding bulk needs to be done before the HT starts or its nails to get all the scartches etc out....

anyway glad your getting on with it, enjoy the process mate...

regards.

chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE