11-11-11

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
No probs S1 - as you know - you asked for our "thoughts". Those were mine. Pretty inarticulate I'm afraid - I'll never be Wilfred Owen. However they are what they are and genuinely felt. Sadly I don't hold the edcation for a "proper poem".

Red

Actually Red, I thought you did a pretty good job. Cheers.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
No probs S1 - as you know - you asked for our "thoughts". Those were mine. Pretty inarticulate I'm afraid - I'll never be Wilfred Owen. However they are what they are and genuinely felt. Sadly I don't hold the edcation for a "proper poem".

Red

Still good though Red, as GW for some tips...

:You_Rock_

LS (S1)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll not be online for a few days, so a note to offer my respects in advance

2990331656_6060b3246b_o.jpg

I once thought to buy a brave man a drink.
He tells me though I failed in that ambition.
I wish I had bought it for a hero – but he tells me I did not.
He laughed at me for my foolishness, but still, I do not regret it.
It surprises me that all the heroes are those that fell
And those who lived are gruffly undeserving of my thanks.

But as undeserving though he claims to be

And as foolish as I certainly am

I remember.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Thanks Red.

We tend to forget that serving in conflicts can have disastrous effects on the family lives of service personnel. A lot of families break up after prolonged postings overseas. Lives are ruined even if there is no injury.

I would like to add a heart felt thank you to all servicemen and women, past and present.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I will lay a wreath on 11/11/08 and will for a few minutes think of the comrades and friends who gave the ultimate sacrifice so that we all can stand with head held high and perchance shed a tear for those who cannot stand beside us on the day. On behalf of those who did not return with us I thank you Red for your words and to all who will remember.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Cheers Red, nice touch. I'll be thinking of all the lads when on the Hoe tomorrow and my mates that are out there at the minute.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
I’m a bit involved with the Co-op Movement and think I need to clarify what ‘white poppies’ stand for; they are not a statement against war but symbolise the belief that there are better ways to resolve international conflicts than putting our best in harms way. They were first introduced in 1933 by the Co-operatives Women’s Guild (a worthy organisation which still exists) and subsequently promoted by the Peace Pledge Union . Personally I feel we have let down those who gave their lives in the First World War (they were told it was ‘the war to end all wars’) by failing to find a better way. I wear both the red and white poppies to show this.

I felt very sad today, that the Standard of our local Royal British Legion was turned over to the Parish Church for safe keeping, because the one man left running the Branch has decided to retire after many many years of dedicated service.

He had a tear in his eye, as he said to Spike that he wondered how many adults would bother to be there, if it wasn't for the parents of the Brownies, Cubs, etc.

I have to say that I was very disappointed in the scrappy turnout for the parade, but on the other hand, was glad that they'd bothered to turn out at all.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Just a personal note to Leon, Spamel, Mike and all the other members here who have served or are still serving.

Its an honour to share a virtual campfire with you - thank you for your service - we don't say that enough.

Red

couldn't think of any better way to put it.

I simply hope that one day rememberence day will only be about conflicts past, not conflicts present and future.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I have only ever had the honour to serve as a “backroom boy” contributing to the effort to make our forces safer, stronger and better equipped to do the bloody hard job they do. In that time I learnt to have a huge reverence for the men and women who take on that challenge and I am ashamed that they get precious little reward or respect from people who don’t understand what they are asked to do.

British Red, I’m not ashamed to say that your picture of the commando monument brought a tear to my eye. My great uncle was one of the first; saw brutal action in many of the decisive theatres of WWII and was left for dead horrifically wounded behind enemy lines. He lived out a productive life contributing to society virtually deaf and in tremendous pain and never without a smile on his face. My hero and always will be.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Remember me as I walk away
for you I lived and died this day
And in this moment I can recall
that as I fell I still stood tall
Into the falling night I cry
tell them I love them and tell them why
I am not there to see them grow
or curb the wild oats they sow
I am the one with arms held wide
even in death not stepping aside
For god and country I am here
your pain I hold I feel your fear
Freedom is my gift to you
as I left, this price I knew
I am so cold and so afraid
and as the fear begins to fade
I think of those to follow me
to give their lives to liberty
As I taste death's embrace
I pray for strength and a bit of grace
Let me die as I have lived
leaving nothing to forgive
My eyes are heavy let me rest
I know now I have done my best

I will remember

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Lest we forget.

In those quiet hours,
when night descends,
and the mind through
children memory wends;
You wonder " what the hell its for? "
This bloody, crazy, murderous war,
You think of the days in the welsh green valleys,
of 'conkers', 'cricket' and 'marble alleys',
those boys you knew at village school,
'mooching' and 'scrumping'
and playing the fool,
Then, sudden reality 'out of the blue'
"come on lads , it's dawn,
STAND TO

John A Ottewell
written in my little 'Bretteville' pigsty
july 18th 1944

Thanks for reading

11/11/08

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I’m a bit involved with the Co-op Movement and think I need to clarify what ‘white poppies’ stand for; they are not a statement against war but symbolise the belief that there are better ways to resolve international conflicts than putting our best in harms way. They were first introduced in 1933 by the Co-operatives Women’s Guild (a worthy organisation which still exists) and subsequently promoted by the Peace Pledge Union . Personally I feel we have let down those who gave their lives in the First World War (they were told it was ‘the war to end all wars’) by failing to find a better way. I wear both the red and white poppies to show this.

i'm sorry to say this...as i am ex military every year i not only wear the red poppy but i go out colleting for the RBL by selling poppy where i live.
i have had 1 person trying lecture to me about the white poppys and refusing to give anything for the red poppys that i was selling...i feel that if you want to wear a white poppy that is your own free choise. but i feel it is an insult to wear white poppys at this time because it is being used to much as a political statment...you have all year to put your point accross can't you leave this small amount of time to to those who gave you that freedom to choose.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
As far as I am aware we are the only nation that takes this time to reflect and give thanks to those who have served to give us the freedoms so many take for granted. I personally believe its the most important tradition we have.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
As far as I am aware we are the only nation that takes this time to reflect and give thanks to those who have served to give us the freedoms so many take for granted. I personally believe its the most important tradition we have.

Well, apart from, the Americans, the Australians, the Canadians, the French, the Commonwealth, the Polish and the people of Belgium,
oh and of courses the Germans.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE