11-11-11

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just a personal note to Leon, Spamel, Mike and all the other members here who have served or are still serving.

Its an honour to share a virtual campfire with you - thank you for your service - we don't say that enough.

Red

He did not grow old as I am growing old,
He remains, perfect in the fading photographs.

And yet

He did not live a perfect life nor die a perfect death.
He was no hero, no perfect superman.

He trembled as the shells and screams surrounded him.
He did not die raised up to glory but hurled down in the mud.

And yet

He did not run, he did not hide.
He faced his fears and fell.

I cannot comprehend how he stood.
I will never know how he died.

And yet

Perhaps I do understand the why of it.
He died so that I do not have to know.

And yet

What grieves me most is that I do not know his name and cannot thank him by it

526478739_17ef4b322f.jpg

Lest we forget

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Thanks Red, although what I did pales in comparison to what those heroes amongst men did. I've just learnt of the death of Jake Alderton, who I knew in Hameln. I wasn't mates with him per se, he was a member of an opposite Guard Shift, but I will remember him during the silence, he was a nice guy.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Red that's a wonderful touch mate. :headbang:
They had an very irritating man on Radio 5 live the other night who wears a WHITE poppy (new one on me but apparently they're being worn by some people) He wears it to demonstrate he is against war.......... For heavens sake EVERYBODY is against war, but our soldiers have to go because that's their job. The red poppy is for rememberence and to show respect to those that have fallen and given their lives. Not to say we think war is great. What a pompous twit he was (and I'm being polite there). Needless to say the show received a lot of very angry callers.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've played with the Oxford Caledonian Pipes and Drums for the Didcot British Legion Parade for the last 10 years, but won't be there today, as I stopped playing the bagpipes earlier this year, but I'll be thinking of them, and all the others, especially the two men from 3 Tp, 20 Fd Sqn, RE, who remain at Bluff Cove.

Geoff

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Bit late but just picked this post up. Well said Red, totally agree. We often forget the sacrifice in our everyday lives.:)

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
just reading this myself, thankyou red for putting into words what i hope many of us are thinking, that is a really lovely poem. We so often take our service men and women for granted, but we all sleep better at night knowing what a wonderfull job they do, and especially at this time of year over the christmas period and new year we should spare an extra thought for those who won't be able to share this time with there families and loved ones, let's hope the rest of our boy's and girl's make it home safely soon. For those who have served and for those still serving...thank you.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've played with the Oxford Caledonian Pipes and Drums for the Didcot British Legion Parade for the last 10 years, but won't be there today, as I stopped playing the bagpipes earlier this year, but I'll be thinking of them, and all the others, especially the two men from 3 Tp, 20 Fd Sqn, RE, who remain at Bluff Cove.

Geoff

Sadly, Jake Alderton was also in 20 Squadron.

Thanks Red.

Me and my mate who is ex G sqdn (Radfan,Sarawak) celebrated with a few pints afterwards and laid a couple of wreaths for the lads who will always be 17,18,19,20,21 when i am an old man.

I am only a young man of 33 but i will never forget my mates nor will i ever turn my back on a comrade in need.

I will get a round in Robbo,Davey,Dai and Luke when i see you in Valhalla.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Cheers Red,
How about a little more notice in the title - it fair brought a lump to my throat.
Theres a list of blokes who I hope have got me a beer in at the pearly gates bar.
The group I was with yesterday thought I was having a laugh when I suggested some quiet time at 11:00 hrs, until I put my old beret on.......

Thanks for your thoughts mate

Ogri the trog

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Soz Pete - always an emotional time for me - probably wasn't the right forum.

This time next year - you at my place an we'll howl at the moon together okay?

Red

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Read a letter in the paper today and the last line was...

"If you can't stand behind our troops, Stand in front of them!"

Thanks for the poem Red...

LS

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No probs S1 - as you know - you asked for our "thoughts". Those were mine. Pretty inarticulate I'm afraid - I'll never be Wilfred Owen. However they are what they are and genuinely felt. Sadly I don't hold the edcation for a "proper poem".

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE