101 Top Tips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I make that 85 useful tips! (I've not counted the funny quips! hope you don't mind:eek: )

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
always know where your torch is !
always have vodka in pack.
carefuly pick your spot for the night .
learn the night sky at any oppotunity as it makes the nightscape feel much more familar and welcoming
dont forget your hat
try and put as many rocks in your colleges pack at every oppotunity , feel better knowing there pack really is getting heavier .

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Tony said:
Not far to go now! when we get to 100 I'll put them all into one list......You know what's next....1001 Top Tips! :You_Rock_

But Tony you know that most of those 1001 book list the same tip in as many different places as possible just to make you think you are getting something you are not ;):D I think 101 is the best.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Start cold, i find there is nothing worse than stopping walking after 10 mins because i didnt take the ranger shirt off and now im a big hot mess.
If you have seen Mr Mears do it on telly and it looks easy you had better hope you dont need to do it in a hurry.

cheers
lou

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
The Basics of a long forced stay: - fire, shelter, water, food. Someone will correct me about the right sequence if I'm wrong.

I put my socks on inside out in my boots (both pairs) I used to get terrible blister from the seams until I did.

When you buy a new pare of boot ware them around the house as a pair of slippers for a week before you go on your first outing.

If you have an 01 carbon knife as soon as you get home from a trip out, clean your knife and give it an oil

If you make fishing line from nettle, lime or horse hair rub it with bees wax it will last much longer and the fibres will stay together.

Don’t leave your fire steel (ferocerium rod)any where near damp ness for a prolonged time it will turn into useless grey dust the best long term protection I have seen suggested is to protect any rod that will be in long term storage with a piece of electrical heat shrink insulation.

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Make a note of the things you forgot or have learned on your trip on the inside of a book or scap of paper.

When going into the mountains only bring the water you need to get you up there, you can boil/purify more when you get up there or on the way, saves a lot of weight.

In wet or cold conditions dry brich bark on your trousers or other dry clothing and then store under your arm pit until lighting.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
woo hoo! we've done it!!!!! (and more!)

Well done guys! :You_Rock_

by my poor math we have got to 104

.......... though please don't stop on my account! ;)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
You beat me whilst typeing G but here's another anyway

When you pack your bag write a kit list ,then when you get home you can see what you used, what you didn't use and would never use and what you didn't use and really need to carry e.g. first aid kit. This way you can up date your list every time you go out. you should end up with a lite pack that contains all you need.

I lay my kit out and take a digital photo before I go and the amend a word document that i've used over and over again.

James

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
like I said - why stop!

(and looking at all your posts on this thread James I don't think you can! :lmao: )

....... perhaps 1001 is not unnatainable after all........ :D

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Good distraction from work this thread.:rolleyes: :cool:

I wander round school thinking there must be some more pearls of wisdom in this head somewhere and then one or two will pop up and i'll come and post :D

James

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Cool - I thought it might be something like that!

- keep going mate - you'll soon have enough for the 'jdlenton's 101 top tips' :D

jdlenton said:
Good distraction from work this thread.:rolleyes: :cool:

I wander round school thinking there must be some more pearls of wisdom in this head somewhere and then one or two will pop up and i'll come and post :D

James

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
when i have a mo i'll cut and paste them all into one post! (unless you have a better / easier way Tony..............)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE