101 Top Tips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
A yard/metre of muslin,

It has many, many, fine uses as packs quite small. Here are just a few:

Use it as a filter.
Cooking in it e.g. tie your veg or meet in it and boil or steam or use it to make paneer.
Carry stuff in it.
Melt snow in it.
Its a sling.
Its a bandage.
Its a scarf.
Its a shemagh.
Its socks (Russain wrap around type)
Its a towel/handkerchief etc.
etc
etc
etc
O' Its dirt cheap. When it get to dirty or to many catches turn it into charcloth and buy another yard :D

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
When making debris shelters never skimp on roofing materials to keep you dry, cutting corners will only serve to get you wet when you least expect it.

The same goes for browse beds, the more effort you put in first time will pay back ten fold when you get a good nights sleep.

Infragreen

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark
1. If carrying a mili-style waterbottle fitting into a mug, pull a baggie over the mug, opening down. If you need a baggie, you have one.
And until then, your mug stays clean.

2. Repel pests with vitamin B complex tablets. Eat, don't try to hit them!
Fresh garlic works even better, but is a pest to eat end repels unpests just as well. Goes down fine with apples, tho.

3. Keep your hands clean. They're great for picking up just about everything. :p
Plus, if you have to pick your nose and your brain falls out, you won't get it dirty putting it back in. :p :p
(Seriously... In fact, you SHOULD really wash your hands before picking your nose. Great way to catch a cold or flu or whatever)

4. Learn to make do with what you have around you. Can you substitute anything in the vicinity for that much-needed piece of kit?

5. Read the pages in this forum.

May your bog rolls never run out!

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I got a couple of extra side pouches to use inside my rucksack to keep things tidy. 1 for all dried and bagged food the other toilitries and all small stuff and my knives untill at my destination also the harness to turn them into a day pack for side trips and wanders during the day.
Dave

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
well i know little of bushcraft but its such a good post i just have to be involved :)
so here goes for what its worth

1, never tie up to or sleep under the biggest tree in the area.

2, likewise never trust a tree with fresh looking dirt at the base (the insects have usually shoveled it out of the rotten interior)

3, never cut any tree thicker than your arm in bushcraft there is seldom a need and its dangerous as hell, i once did one and a half summersaults with a 65cc chainsaw in one hand ,entertaining but dodgy :D

4 ash trees grow under imense tension and are probably resposible for more fatallitys and injuries to professional tree surgeons than any other trees in the uk. at least(the back can split out as you make the felling cut ,right where your face is :yikes: )
not brain surgery but i hope it may add somthing cheers guys

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmm,

Standing dead wood is drier than fallen wood

Wood thats wet on the outside is usually dry inside if split

Cut the turves before starting a fire (assuming you are allowed to where you are). Cover the fire with damp turves at night (like a charcoal burner) and it'll be alight in the morning

Red

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
You can't have your King Alfred's Cake and eat it.

Use the leftover fire dogs from last night and your firesteel to relight the fire in the morning!

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I just posted part of this in another thread but thought it would fit in here too.When using the PLCE side pouches as a daysack I've threaded a 1 metre length of 4 mm shock-cord crossed between the four outside loops on each pouch secured with a cordlock to carry wet gear away from kit in the bag,also two smaller loops approx 4 inches each with a cordlock as walking pole carriers.
Dave.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Never eat anything bigger than your head.

Tie all kit to a piece of string, that way, if you can't find anything, you just move along the string until you do!

Never have curry if you are sharing a tent/shelter with someone.

Create the effect of being abducted by aliens by drinking two bottles of vodka. You'll invariably wake up in a strange place the following morning, having had your memory mysteriously 'erased'.

Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

Vegetarians coming to camp dinner? Simply serve them a nice bit of steak or veal. Since they`re always going on about how tofu, Quorn, meat substitute etc `tastes exactly like the real thing`, they won`t know any difference.

Invited by vegetarians for camp dinner? Point out that since you`d no doubt be made aware of their special dietary requirements, tell them about yours, and ask for a nice steak.

Camp hygiene a problem? Wrap yourself in masking tape and remove the dirt by simply peeling it off.

Avoid cutting yourself while chopping wood by getting someone else to hold the log while you chop away.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spacemonkey said:
Never eat anything bigger than your head.

Tie all kit to a piece of string, that way, if you can't find anything, you just move along the string until you do!

Never have curry if you are sharing a tent/shelter with someone.

Create the effect of being abducted by aliens by drinking two bottles of vodka. You'll invariably wake up in a strange place the following morning, having had your memory mysteriously 'erased'.

Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

Vegetarians coming to camp dinner? Simply serve them a nice bit of steak or veal. Since they`re always going on about how tofu, Quorn, meat substitute etc `tastes exactly like the real thing`, they won`t know any difference.

Invited by vegetarians for camp dinner? Point out that since you`d no doubt be made aware of their special dietary requirements, tell them about yours, and ask for a nice steak.

Camp hygiene a problem? Wrap yourself in masking tape and remove the dirt by simply peeling it off.

Avoid cutting yourself while chopping wood by getting someone else to hold the log while you chop away.
Hmmm Viz fan? ;) :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE