101 Top Tips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Another useful tip from me here.

In winter, you should ALWAYS take with you two things.

1. Some way of making a hot drink. A thermos does NOT count, as this will run out.
2. Some kind of shelter, even if it is just a tarp. This is of vital importance, especially in the hills, where there is little vegetation to make one from.

If the weather turns, and you are stranded, you may be faced with the prospect of a night on the hills in **** weather. Without shelter you are doomed to death within hours. Without a hot drink you will most likely get hypothermia, and be dead by the morning if it is cold enough. I never go into the countryside without these two life-savers, summer or winter, even if I'm going somewhere close to civilization, like snowdon or kinder. This post shows you why, http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?p=152039#post152039 . Even if you think you now the area, you can still get cut off. No amount of local knowledge will get you through a blizzard if it is bad enough to pin you to the side of a mountain.

So, 1. Stove for hot drinks, 2. Shelter.

Simple.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Here are two thing you should NEVER head into the hills in winter without:

1. Some way of making hot drinks.
2. Some way of making shelter.

No matter where I am going, for how long, I always take a stove and a tarp. If you get cut off by a storm in the winter, then without these two things you will probably die. Or wish you were dead.

If you do get cut off, no shelter in bad weather will mean certain death in a few hours. And if you don't have hot drinks, shelter or no shelter, you will still get hypothermia. Hot drinks makes your forced stay slightly more comfortable, and gives you something to occupy yourself with whilst you wait for the weather to clear.

So, the two most vital pieces of equipment for survival are a stove, and a tarp. Simple, really.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
capacious said:
16. Not all rights of way on OS maps exist any more they change if a landowner tells you there's no right of way don't argue find another way round. (Nonsense.)

Capacious it is through personal experience that I have come to this conclusion on two points
1. I am responsible for seeing that landowners keep the right of way open for my local parish council so i know

i.The only way to truly tell that a right of way exists is to go and look at the master map held by the county council (or other equivalent body) usually held in the county library. the OS maps can be years out of date with there rights of way information.

ii. Any land owner can apply to have a right of way removed or it's route redirected there are often good reason for the move and some are granted some are refused. ground for granting and grounds for refusal are so diverse i wont go in to them here.

iii. If you find your way obstructed by a physical boundary or a person the advice from your local authority should be do not tackle the problem your self change your route and on your return home contact the officer in the council responsible for rights of way and report the matter to them they can the asses the situation and take the relevant action.

2. If we want land owners to respect us as country side users and continue to allow us access to rights of way, crags, rivers etc we need to be courteous and polite arguing with these people will only give them the wrong impression and ammunition to say “why should I let people cross my land / have access to climb on the crag / paddle down the river if all I’m going to get is aggression and aggravation”. There are also many organisations that have worked hard over the years to get access and keep access open for us out door types argueing will only undermine all the good work thats already been done

Capacious you say this comment is nonsense can I ask why as you give no reason?

James

Rod

On a new journey
As you can loose up to 75% of your body heat out the top of your head a hat is essential in cold weather.

Appreciate that in cold weather things often take longer to do, and that if you are cold your brain and body will function less quickly. Mental preparation beforehand is therefore vital. Break jobs/tasks down into manageable stages, rest and re-warm if necessary more frequently. (Take time for that brew!). Assess your progress and have a backup/escape plan prepared. Remember, spontaneous responses to problems can be dangerous.

Nonetheless, enjoy yourself in the winter weather. It is a truely magical time to be outdoors!

Peace

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Because, like you said, if we act responsibly then there is no problem with us crossing their land.

Never once did I mention using any form of aggression or aggravation to argue my point.

I have on several occassions asked permission to cross someones land, always met by the answer "No", and followed this with a reasonable argument as to why I should be allowed.

I have never disrespected a land owner, never lost my temper, never aggravated or annoyed a land owner. Nor have I ever been denied access.

I have asked permission to cross fields, to camp in private land, to light fires on private land, and I have never once been refused.

I asked permission to camp in land owned by the Duke of Cornwall (Prince William, by the way) and was allowed, simply because I persevered with my requests in a logical and calm manner, and gave in detail the reasons why I should be allowed. I now, after months of using the land and showing that I respect it by never leaving a single trace of my being there, have almost unlimited access to use that land for whatever bushcraft purpose I may have.

That is why this is nonsense. If you clearly state your reasons, what you intend to do, and how long you intend to be on that land, you will never be refused access.

And sorry, I realise that I should've explained in the thread but I didn't think it would all fit.

I never meant to insult or offend you, and I am in awe of people like you who battle constantly on the behalf of people like me to keep access open. I owe people like you more than I could ever repay. :You_Rock_

Again, I'm sorry I offended you :( .

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Capaious thank you:)

I was more upset that you put my map knowledge down than anything as a self confessed cartophile this is what gave me the post pain and was one of the major points in my post .

Your profile suggests that you are a young man at the beginning of a life long love of the outdoors and that’s great. Your last post also suggests that you have been very lucky with landowners and their representatives but may I still suggest that your reasoning although no aggressive or confrontational could rub some landowners or the employees up the wrong way never mind how well or politely you put your point.

I hope you continue to enjoy your access to these estates and lands, we do need to get out there and people like yourself who secure access and prove to land owner that lovers of the countryside can be trusted to act responsibly are worth their weight in gold carry on but don’t push your luck too far.

Enjoy your access :cool:

James

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
jdlenton said:
Capaious thank you:)

I was more upset that you put my map knowledge down than anything as a self confessed cartophile this is what gave me the post pain and was one of the major points in my post .

Lol, I know what you mean. I'm a cartophile too. (I wonder, why do you need to be self-confessed? I revel in the fact that I am :p )

I'm glad to have sorted tings out though, I'm sorry I annoyed you in the first place.

And yes, I will enjoy my access :D

Jake.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
16. Not all rights of way on OS maps exist any more they change if a landowner tells you there's no right of way don't argue find another way round.

The rights of way shown on any OS map are accurate at the time of reviewing and printing. No more no less. For complete accuracy, a trip to the local planning authority or Highways dept of your County Council /National Park is neccessary.

I would agree with the quoted comment - it's best to avoid hassle, but if you get it, and you are in the right then matter need to be rectified.

If, when you check out the definitive map you find you have been denied lawful access then you should complain, in writing to the Rights of Way officer [often called the Footpaths Officer] in that Council area. You should also report any obstacles that make the footpath difficult or dangerous to walk [apart the obvious natural ones of terrain, flooding etc]

the new 'rights of access' legislation has freed up a lot of problems regarding being barred from land, but it does'nt cover a lot of lowland areas. But above all, a friendly and helpful attitude to the landholders is the best way forward.

In rural Wales it's handy if speak the language too :)

Actually, make that a top tip:

Try and get some sort of grounding in the language of the area you are in, even if it's only please and thank you. The locals will appreciate your making the effort.

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
Never dismiss peoples advice, which is freely given . Just rememeber that you live in one little square of the picture and your reality is not somebody elses. Keep it stored in the grey box, it may just get you out of trouble one day.

A qiuck one on taking locals advice , Being local to were I live , I do a walk on the local tops which normally takes me 2 1/2 hours . Some friends came up from London town, asked me for a nice walk to do. I suggested the route, 8 1/2 hours later they staggered in cursing me ! I was just putting my boots on to go and look for them. I later saw it in an out door mag as a suitable route for a over night camping trip.
It taught me that people must take responsiblity for their own actions , Because slavishly following other peoples advice with out thinking about it your self leads to trouble..

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Ok i know that at one time we all get lost a little bit or just turn around the best thing make up your mind witch way you like to go. Then look in front of you pick out a tree or rock or some object 50 to 100 feet away walk to it then again on to the next one that way you walk in a straight line not in a circle

M

Mooney

a handy peice of kit to bring, if u have the space is a groundmat. you can get small ones from millets (i think its about 2m by 1m, they go bigger aswell) there only £5 but if you using a basha on the ground it gives a nice dry area to work around. also if your using a hammok and its raining outside you can set it up underneath you, put your rucksack and boots on it and then roll it up so in the morning you can unroll it, stand up in your socks on dry ground and then put your boots on; it can add quite a bit of extra cumfort.

tea lights can be extremely handy, i usually carry 2-3 of them in my firelighting kit on my belt. i use them for light around the camp mostly, just give them cover of 3 sides and you have useable light level, and reasonable resistance to wind. they are most useful when your using a trangia etc which give off practically no light so u cant see the food your trying to cook in the pan.

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
Re.
17. Use dried whitener for brews (tastes the same as milk to me

On a Woodsmike I did course they used sugar lumps instead of sugar granules.
Thus preventing me getting confused late p.m. or early a.m. and having VERY white but nasty tasteing coffee

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Originally Posted by lyndon
1, never tie up to or sleep under the biggest tree in the area.

What's this about then?

Lightning almost always travels through the live wood. Hence the current flow is close to the surface of the trunk and can easily jump out to another object, such as a hapless bushcrafter....

hyfan

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2004
Beds
If you camp out in winter and its below freezing-take a hot water bottle! after your last brew fill the bottle with hot water (you have boiled the kettle so is a shame to waste the water) stuff it in the bottom of your sleeping bag. Hey yes I know your saying what a whimp. Take it from me when its minus zero it will get you of for a comfortable nights sleep.Cheers HYFAN

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Great list guys!

Well my inclusion is going to point out the (OK, only!) positive thing about the girlies monthly mood swings...

Tampons are a brilliant inclusion in you kit as they're very compact, great tinder and individually wrapped in plastic to repel moisture. They're made of (Sterile?) compressed pure cotton wool so can also be used as an absorbent dressing too. It think I read somewhere that the SAS are even issued 2 for their kits!

PS A word of warning tho, I should definatley ask (nicely!) before 'borrowing' a couple off the wife/mother/girlfriend/sister!
;)

Shepherd

Tenderfoot
Don't spend loads of money on kit you don't need and then find your are too broke to get to where you wanted to use it.. :)

So a tip for certain happiness and survival in everyday life would be..

It's not the acquisition of more.. It's developing the capacity to enjoy less.. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
someone wrote (can't rememter which thread)

13. Only take items you will need (no frisbees, lawn tennis equipment etc)

but frisbees are great
stable platform in the snow for your stove
you can use them as a plate
if bored you can play catch the frisbee :)

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
Along with a map I would have a compass, especially if your on a walkabout before setting camp.

In extremely cold weather you can wear tights under your trousers, they do help to keep you warm.
You can get tights for men so you don't have to steal your wifes/girlfriends. :)

From a personal experience they do work.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
1. Stay hydrated - if you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Train yourself to drink and check your pee colour (but don't drink it afterwards).

2. Try and make sure everything you carry has more than one use.

3. This may have been covered a little bit already but hygiene is critical - stay clean, avoid infection, stay alive.

4. Practise with all your kit - don't use it for the first time in an emergency.

5. Stop obsessing about knives: not only is it weird and unhealthy, but it gives bushcraft a bad press and, frankly, there are lots of other things to talk about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE