10 top tips for bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pitta-pitta

Banned
Dec 5, 2009
Huddersfield
My nephew has started getting in to bushcraft. I told him I'd put together a top ten tips for him. Once I started doing it I found I had hundreds of things I could include and found it difficult to narrow it down to the Top 10. What are you top ten things a young bushcrafter should know? You guys might be able to help me focus a bit. So ahat are your top ten tips - the basics.:confused:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Start with the essentials:

Shelter:
  • Be able to rig a tarp to suit different weather conditions.
  • If lucky enough to have a suitable area to play in, building debris shelters & lean to.

Fire:
  • Be able to light a fire using different methods, matches, fero rod, flint & steel & bow drill.

Food & Water:
  • Be able to cook a meal using a stove and over a fire.
  • As his skills develop - prep of game and some basic foraging
  • Make water safe to drink - filter & boil, chemical, or flash filtration unit.

I would also look at kit selection, looking at fit for purpose etc, and how to pack a rucksac.

HTH

Simon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Patience is a great skill to learn :)

Be aware. Of yourself, your environment, your tools.

Hard work's good for you :D

Make time to chill out.

Nobody knows it all, but everybody knows a bit.

Walk lightly, use don't abuse, try to leave better than you found.

Good friends are worth their weight in whatever you carry in to share :D

Phone home ! Tell your Mum you're alive and well.

It doesn't rain every day.

It's a big world out there, don't just observe, be part of it.

:D

cheers,
Toddy

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
Always, always, always, (always) gather 3 times as much wood as you think you're going to need to light a fire. The instinct is to gather just what you think you'll require and it's blummin never enough, especially when it's wet. Once I started doing this I never really had any more problems getting a fire going.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
1. Always cut away from you.
2. When using an axe, practise swinging slowly before chopping to see if the axe may end up in you if it goes awry.
3. Take things slowly.
4. Always be aware of your personal space when using sharps. If someone is close enough to touch you or be touched by your sharp, move away.
5. Notice which way the ground slopes - don't set up camp in a bowl. If it rains, you will get wetter and possibly flooded.
6. Set your fire for the wind... Use the wind direction wisely to keep your fire lit.
7. If you are going away from camp, take note of landmarks to help you find your way back.
8. Don't leave camp after dark... the woods look a lot different after dark and you will get lost.
9. If you don't do it - it won't get done.
10. Have fun!

I wrote these with a child in mind :)

pitta-pitta

Banned
Dec 5, 2009
Huddersfield
Thanks guys.

I was going to write him a little Top 10 tips card and then laminate it so it ddn't get wet. I ended up with so much stuff that the card would have been so big it would have doubled as a shelter!:lmao:

I was interested what you guys would say as a top 10. I guess keeping blades sharp and knowing how to use them, keeping dry/making a shelter and lighting a fire have got to be the top ones. Knowing some basic first aid is probably important too.

bush ranger

Mar 4, 2010
devon
as you quite rightly said the top ten bushcraft items are hard to narrow downjust try to rember kiss(keep it simple stupid! )

some thing to sleep in

something to sleep on

something to cook in

something to cook on

something to carry water

something to cut with

something to carry it

food

toilet roll

your knowledge

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Thanks guys.

I was going to write him a little Top 10 tips card and then laminate it so it ddn't get wet. I ended up with so much stuff that the card would have been so big it would have doubled as a shelter!:lmao:

I was interested what you guys would say as a top 10. I guess keeping blades sharp and knowing how to use them, keeping dry/making a shelter and lighting a fire have got to be the top ones. Knowing some basic first aid is probably important too.

You should make tarps/bashas with your tips/advice printed on the inside and sell them as "Know How Tarps" or something... :)

IIRC the game Monopoly was drawn out on an unemployed fellas dining room tablecloth following the Wall Street Crash of 1929.

Just a thought, it's not my idea (it was yours), this post is just a nudge.

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE